Meet "Roo," my 7-week-old Barred Rock pullet . . . or is she?

Cockerel or Pullet?

• Total voters

NCfarmin

In the Brooder
Mar 7, 2018
Hi everyone,

Pictured below is the very outgoing, curious, friendly, brave little 7-week-old chicken that we named Rooster ("Roo") for short. I know, not the most creative name. We hope she'll be one of the many pullets named Roo.

I started to have my doubts about her gender early on, because she was just so bold. Her behavior was totally different than the other 5 chicks we have, but she's also the only Barred Rock. She seemed to carry herself very upright, too. After awhile I stopped being concerned because she seemed darker in color than a lot of the lighter BR cockerels I've seen pictured on these forums, and because her comb didn't seem too big, or too red.
IMG_5028.JPG
IMG_5030.jpg
IMG_5027.JPG
IMG_5021.JPG
IMG_5023.JPG

But now I've registered for an account, so I figured I would just go ahead and ask the experts. So tell me: cockerel or pullet?

[note the pic where she was so curious about my phone that she came over to give it a peck]

Thanks!!

B

I agree on pullet. Small comb. For what it's worth I have a feeling that the reason for her behavior is that she's at the top of the pecking order. I believe BR are pretty big and act somewhat dominant. I have a BO who acted the same and as I watched them more it seems she's at the top.

Thanks, everyone, for the speedy responses. Looks like it's unanimous - she's a she! Glad to get to keep our most entertaining chicken. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom