Meyer Hatchery Chicken pics anyone??

Good job Whiri! I just love your chickens, Pip!!

Ive been lurking though not posting... My 6 girls are 18 weeks now! Was hoping one would start laying now, but I dont feel like amy are super close. Havent noticed anything Id call squatting. Theres some good comb and wattle development on a few, but their hipbones last I checked were maybe 1.5 fingers. Ill try to get some pics up this weekend!

I look forward to seeing your pictures. what kind do you have?

I was on my way here to type up a post about my Light Brown Leghorn, Whiri, who was nesting, but then I heard her cackling! She laid her egg before I could even make the announcement that she was nesting!!
wee.gif

Here she was on the nest, just a few minutes ago!
celebrate.gif
She's 19 weeks and 2 days old!

Congrats on the first egg!! Interesting color... almost looks like a brown egg with white over it.

Silkies are adorable. I was looking at pics today and found one of our frizzle silkie that got killed. I'm so sorry she/he was killed. :(
I just told my daughter today that we are definitely getting another silkie.

How's the Broody Lynn?

Mine is still broody but when she came out of the coop today she was limping! She is barely putting weight on her left foot and by tonight when I was putting them to bed she needed her wings to sort of steady her. I did see one of my EE's really chasing her around today when she was finally out of the coop and maybe she hurt it then? She did eat some wet food and sunflower seeds tonight. I put her into the coop so she didn't have to climb up the ramp but she didn't go into a nest, just laid on the floor.
Sheesh... it's always something!

I was buying my chicken feed today and there was a cage of 2 black and 2 gray show quality silkies a local breeder was trying to get rid of, maybe about 12 weeks old, and 2 Real Ameraucanas! Luckily they were all male or I
would have seriously thought about adding a silkie. They were absolutely adorable. I've never seen one in person, only computer pics. Too cute!!!
Maybe yours hurt her foot jumping down? Her muscles could be getting week from all that inactivity. I am afraid that Olivia's are too. I keep petting her while she is in the nest box and she complains and gets out and walks around. She hates to be touched, although she does squat for me, but not since she's been broody. She does seem to stay out of the nest box a little longer each day, but no eggs from her since Monday. I don't think she sleeps in it at night, but I have not gone out after dark to check. I don't think she is because Ash went in the box yesterday at some point and laid her egg and Olivia was sitting on it, so she was off it long enough for Ash to lay an egg early in the morning.

I'm glad your broody is eating, Olivia eats and drinks when I get her off the nest and has started taking dust baths and pecking in the garden. She is so funny, the whole time she is off the nest she makes a low clucking sound and flaps her wings a lot. She also is mean to the other chickens, she even pecked Oreo in the head and Oreo did nothing about it, she also chases the little chicks around, everyone of the chickens seems scared of her. I will be glad when she starts getting off the nest herself and gets back to laying eggs, she was laying everyday almost, so we only get around 2 or 3 eggs a day now. I love the EE's, but I may avoid them if they are always this broody.

We still have those hawks flying around here to and scaring my chickens, I think that has slowed down egg production too. With all the wild things around here, you'd think we lived in the country, but we're in the city.

Silkies are adorable. I was looking at pics today and found one of our frizzle silkie that got killed. I'm so sorry she/he was killed. :(
I just told my daughter today that we are definitely getting another silkie.
I agree about silkies and you should get another one or two or three!

LOL! We are already over our limit but I did consider going up to our local breeder and picking one up today. We might do it on Sunday. :)
OK, completely jealous!!!
Maybe yours hurt her foot jumping down? Her muscles could be getting week from all that inactivity. I am afraid that Olivia's are too. I keep petting her while she is in the nest box and she complains and gets out and walks around. She hates to be touched, although she does squat for me, but not since she's been broody. She does seem to stay out of the nest box a little longer each day, but no eggs from her since Monday. I don't think she sleeps in it at night, but I have not gone out after dark to check. I don't think she is because Ash went in the box yesterday at some point and laid her egg and Olivia was sitting on it, so she was off it long enough for Ash to lay an egg early in the morning.

I'm glad your broody is eating, Olivia eats and drinks when I get her off the nest and has started taking dust baths and pecking in the garden. She is so funny, the whole time she is off the nest she makes a low clucking sound and flaps her wings a lot. She also is mean to the other chickens, she even pecked Oreo in the head and Oreo did nothing about it, she also chases the little chicks around, everyone of the chickens seems scared of her. I will be glad when she starts getting off the nest herself and gets back to laying eggs, she was laying everyday almost, so we only get around 2 or 3 eggs a day now. I love the EE's, but I may avoid them if they are always this broody.

We still have those hawks flying around here to and scaring my chickens, I think that has slowed down egg production too. With all the wild things around here, you'd think we lived in the country, but we're in the city.
I know, that's what I was thinking. It's not a huge jump but if she is just sitting all day in a nest that could make her more fragile. I left her in the nest last night and again tonight. Tomorrow I'm going to put her in a wire cage out in the run with the other girls. So she can see them but they can't touch her. She may not even be broody anymore, now she's just hurt. She could hardly put weight on her leg at all today. She ate and drank several times but if I put food and water in with her at least she can get to it without being chased away.
I kept finding eggs under Moe even though she was broody and then I figured out why... other girls were getting in the nest with her and laying the egg with her in it. Of course she's sitting in the favorite nest but that doesn't stop them from using it! It's pretty funny to see them squished in there with her with all her Cochin fluffiness! Maybe they're doing that with Olivia?

Stinkin' hawks.

Hello everyone! I haven't posted on here in a couple days. How is everyone and the chickens? I took some pictures of my girls yesterday. They will be 21 weeks tomorrow. Still no eggs from the other girls. Sunni, Daffodil, Ellie, Lizzie, and Amber are getting close, but still no sign that Lilly will be laying soon. Alice and Alice have been laying 6 eggs per week, and Lucy has been laying about 2 per week.

Amber - (EE)

Ellie - (EE)

Sunni - (Buff Orp) We are considering making Sunni a house chicken. Just so it's easier for me to feed her, and we are going to try switching her to pellet feed, and we are going to try the poultry nipples to see if those will help her eat and drink on her own. She is able to eat pieces of cat food no problem, so I'm hoping that she will be able to eat pellets too. Someone suggested trying the poultry nipple waterers as well, because all she has to do is peck at them and the water goes into her mouth. It's less work for her that way. The only problem with the nipple waterers is that we have no way to keep them from freezing in the winter. Which is another reason why we are considering just moving her into the house. I think I might have to start shopping for chicken diapers soon.
pop.gif

Daffodil - (Buff Orp)

Lilly - (Black Australorp) I just love her big brown eyes.
love.gif
They are hard to photograph though. She always has a huge glare on her eyes in all of the photos I take of her.

Lizzie - (Golden Campine)

Lucy - (Golden Campine)

Annie - (White Leghorn)

Alice - (White Leghorn)

MsChickenMomma, your girls are beautiful!

X2!!! Amber looks like my Cleo. Does Amber have a beard? My Cleo is beardless and noodle comb so brown eggs from her. But they're nice sized and she lays quite often.
I love those BA's big brown eyes too! One of mine is the boss of the girls and can be tough on them but loves to be pet by me. Although she really screams at me when I don't give her treats. I mean, really screams! LOL.
Do you think Sunni would miss being out with the girls or would you let her out with them every day. I don't know anyone with a house chicken so I don't know how it works. I think it would be cute to have her around all the time!
Although a friend of a friend lets their chicken in the house all the time, no diapers, and it lays an egg in the kitchen cabinet. Kinda gross that it poops everywhere though.

Back
Top Bottom