Michigan Thread - all are welcome!

http://melbel.hubpages.com/hub/Michigan-Accent

An article on the Michigan accent. Too funny! I read this and was trying to figure out how some of the things are actually supposed to be said. LOL. I've traveled to other states, so I know that others (especially the southern states) talk so slowly that they're able to articulate their words more properly. I'm not against articulating your words, but some of that slow talking just seems like a waste of time to me. Of course, here in Michigan, people tend to have the same view on driving. We always seem to be in a hurry.

Last edited:
Opa (or anybody)... I have a question on brining:

I had one of our home processed chickens resting in my fridge for a few days, and then put it into a brine last night with the intention of cooking for dinner tonight. Well, plans have changed and apparently we are going to my Aunt's (formerly my grandma's) house for dinner to start up our traditional "Thursday night dinner" again... sans grandma. :/

Anyways, is it going to be okay for the chicken to sit in the brine for 2 nights and I cook it for dinner tomorrow? Or should I take it out of the brine and rinse it today? It's a fairly lean bird... not a lot of breast meat like a cornish cross would have.

Last edited:

An article on the Michigan accent.  Too funny!  I read this and was trying to figure out how some of the things are actually supposed to be said.  LOL.  I've traveled to other states, so I know that others (especially the southern states) talk so slowly that they're able to articulate their words more properly.  I'm not against articulating your words, but some of that slow talking just seems like a waste of time to me.  Of course, here in Michigan, people tend to have the same view on driving.  We always seem to be in a hurry.  

I lived in NJ for five years (DH is from NJ) and when we moved to MI people here drive and do everything too slow to us. I am orginally from KY and thought I missed the slower pace. We are due to transfer from MI already so we are hoping for the fast pace again.

An article on the Michigan accent. Too funny! I read this and was trying to figure out how some of the things are actually supposed to be said. LOL. I've traveled to other states, so I know that others (especially the southern states) talk so slowly that they're able to articulate their words more properly. I'm not against articulating your words, but some of that slow talking just seems like a waste of time to me. Of course, here in Michigan, people tend to have the same view on driving. We always seem to be in a hurry.
lol.png
I am from the south, [ Georgia] and I am always telling DH that he talks too fast.

I can't believe he isn't crowing too...but someone in the Egger thread brought up that "he" may be half and half! I never thought that was possible, but apparently 1 in 10000 chickens can be half hen, half roo. I wonder if this is the case? I haven't researched enough on this situation yet...but he only "peeps" and we got all of the EE's the 8th of April, so we know they are 16 weeks old now...very strange! We went for all pullet bins and paid extra even though we knew it isn't guaranteed they would be all pullets, but the "reds" were advertised as pullets and so were the EE's...I guess out of 8 chicks, one "Roo" isn't bad odds... and if TwoTone is a gynandromorph then we truly have a very rare bird
smile.png
WOW! No kidding??!! Wouldn't THAT be interesting! I must say, TwoTone's comb, while bigger than the pullets', is NOWHERE the size of my EE roos', and my birds are only 1 week older than yours!
I had a hen that never laid an egg, but was three times bigger than her mother, and was the same size as her father, but never crowed, and have seen a few rooster mate her. Her comb and waddles was 2x bigger than all the roosters. She was a oddball.
what exactly do you ask for when you go to buy it? is it seed grain, feed, or what? my DH and i want to start growing some too but want to make sure we get the right thing.
Ask for Barley FEED seed. Organic if they got it. (generally will cost more though for organic, other wise you could get GMO seed) Feed seed is to be fed directly to live stock as a food source. Barley SEED, seed is for planting in the ground and could be coated with something to prevent mold and bugs.... may or may not have a coating, just ask.
I plan on ordering Organic Barley seeds next time I go to town, the seeds that I got was seed grade, but when I opened the bag, I checked for coating of any sort. it was not coated with anything. Yay! Wait! There are GMO barley??? AARRGGHH! Will just buy the organic kind from now on!
http://melbel.hubpages.com/hub/Michigan-Accent An article on the Michigan accent. Too funny! I read this and was trying to figure out how some of the things are actually supposed to be said. LOL. I've traveled to other states, so I know that others (especially the southern states) talk so slowly that they're able to articulate their words more properly. I'm not against articulating your words, but some of that slow talking just seems like a waste of time to me. Of course, here in Michigan, people tend to have the same view on driving. We always seem to be in a hurry.
:lol: I am from the south, [ Georgia] and I am always telling DH that he talks too fast.
:lol: Even though I am deaf, I talk really fast! People tell me to slow down sometimes, but if someone else is talking too fast, I can't understand/ keep up.

Looking for a couple Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hens to add to my start up breeding program :)
I'd check with CrazyChickenRanch (look for her website.....don't know if she's on here or not). I think they're in the thumb......east of the D and south of Carsonville. I have 6 chicks from Meyer and i'm not thrilled with them, but they'll satisfy my need for now. Will be starting again next year with some better stock.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom