Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
What I would do is put them in a rubbermaid container or something like that and put them in the sun, preferably a place that's half sun and half shade. Or put a blanket or something over half of the container (or whatever you have them in) and put them in the sun. A towel is good that way if it's cooler you can put it over the whole container. As far as on the way home, they should be fine with something like a towel or blanket over the container. Ducklings are pretty hardy. I've had them in all sorts of situations, several where I thought it was too cool and they did fine.

Whatever you do, DO NOT put wood shavings in the bottom of whatever you have them in. Paper towels on the bottom is the best, then take some more paper towels or a washcloth and make a little nest in the corner. Some people say wood shavings are fine from a week on, but I've personally had too many ducklings try to eat them. I also sometimes use those puppy training pads, just not the ones that smell like grass because I've had ducklings eat those.

Quote:
Ok, I'll put ya down! Yes, they're for eating and they're wonderful!!
smile.png

You all know you're kiling me here.
hmm.png

I can't wait to get out there next spring and about half of what's been offered is goodies i'd totally go for. (I half considered buying the muscovies, they telling boyd I'd gotten him an early birthday gift)
wink.png

Quote:
What I would do is put them in a rubbermaid container or something like that and put them in the sun, preferably a place that's half sun and half shade. Or put a blanket or something over half of the container (or whatever you have them in) and put them in the sun. A towel is good that way if it's cooler you can put it over the whole container. As far as on the way home, they should be fine with something like a towel or blanket over the container. Ducklings are pretty hardy. I've had them in all sorts of situations, several where I thought it was too cool and they did fine.

Whatever you do, DO NOT put wood shavings in the bottom of whatever you have them in. Paper towels on the bottom is the best, then take some more paper towels or a washcloth and make a little nest in the corner. Some people say wood shavings are fine from a week on, but I've personally had too many ducklings try to eat them. I also sometimes use those puppy training pads, just not the ones that smell like grass because I've had ducklings eat those.

I don't use pine shavings anymore. They're nasty. I use pine pellets, but I can cover them to start. They are just way more absorbent and stay nicer smelling than the shavings. I put my chicks straight in with the pellets but ducklings have bigger pie holes and might confuse them for food. They aren't toxic but no sense filling yourself with sawdust. I guess I'll have to try to figure out how to fit my plastic brooder, something to fit 2 silkies in, a cooler, and 3 people in my HHR. Oh boy...

Quote:

I don't use pine shavings anymore. They're nasty. I use pine pellets, but I can cover them to start. They are just way more absorbent and stay nicer smelling than the shavings. I put my chicks straight in with the pellets but ducklings have bigger pie holes and might confuse them for food. They aren't toxic but no sense filling yourself with sawdust. I guess I'll have to try to figure out how to fit my plastic brooder, something to fit 2 silkies in, a cooler, and 3 people in my HHR. Oh boy...

Are the pine pellets horse stall bedding like Equine Fresh? I have toyed with the idea of using these in my coop and for babies.

Quote:
\\

Yup. I love them. I've used them for puppy litter, cat litter, rabbit litter, and chicken litter. I just cleaned out the kennel (in my basement) that the chickens are in until our fence is up. It's been so long since I did it, I can't remember when it was. I think 4 months ago. It only takes 3 bags for my 6x10 kennel. And they're about $7 a bag. So I think it's cheaper than shavings. I used them in my brooder for my isas and only had to completely remove and replace the pellets once. And they were in there for 6 weeks. That was mostly cuz the little buggers kept knocking over their water. When they get wet they just swell up and turn into sawdust. The chickens love to dustbathe and scratch in it. If any spots get too wet from serious water spills you can just scoop out the wet parts and throw some more pellets in. And they have a nice piney smell.

keyt1969 - I have a year old (VERY BROODY) BCM hen that I would love trade you for crocheted baby girl cuteness. We just found out we are having a GIRL after two boys, so I need to celebrate.
smile.png
It would be so awesome if you could take her and reward tenacity her with some chicks, poor thing has been sitting for almost two months and I feel SO sorry for her. I have two other broodies and my husband will freak if I bring them all chicks. I know it's a lot to ask someone to take on a broody, so I TOTALLY understand if you don't want to, I only mention it since you seem to really want a BCM - I'll probably still be up for something you made even if you don't want to trade.
smile.png

Last edited:
Keyt- I will send you a pm.

I went outside this morning- racing my garbage truck, foolish me to think my son would have dragged out the can- and I heard this loud horrible awful sound that was similar to what I imagine strangling a donkey would sound like.......

Henry? REALLY????

You think its funny to hear a cockerel learning to crow you should hear what happens when a gooses' voice changes and they learn to honk...

10233_chicken_waiting_on_hatch.gif
Waiting for Chickenstock to arrive has been like incubating eggs. You don't think it's ever going to get here, but it finally has. This time tomorrow I will be loading the truck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom