Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Morning. What an ungodly hour to be at work, ugh. And pictures of ticks are not what I wanted to see this morning lol!! Well I have my job interview today at 130, wish me luck!! Because if I get that job then I wont have to be at this stupid place at 7 am anymore.
caf.gif

So my chickens are approaching 5 weeks old, and they are pretty much fully feathered now. Do you think I could move them out to their coop yet, with no electricity out there? I plan to put some shavings and some straw down in there for insulation for them, and I haven't had a light on them since they were 2 weeks old anyway. I was thinking if I could get all that done then I'd put them out there this weekend. Any opinions?

We usually get several ticks every year. If I find one on one of the dogs I just grab it between my fingers and give it a quick yank off, I've never had a problem with the bite site getting infected. I can't stand getting them on me though... I'll have the creepy crawlies for days!

I found 3 silkies in the bin at TSC yesterday, but I had to buy 6. The girl said all the birds with feathers on the feet were silkies... but, they only had 4 toes and the skin wasn't dark. Only 3 had 5 toes, the dark skin, beak and feet. Here's one of the other chicks I don't think is a silkie, anyone know what it is?

Gotta get some coffee......... Happy Thursday!
GOOD LUCK SARA!!!
fl.gif

I like the NON Stop NOM!

Opa, anytime you want rabbit to eat, let me know!!!

Last edited:
Morning Everyone......
I've got the day off from work but there's always work here at home to be done....grhhhhh.....the never ending Bucket List.

I don't think I ever seen a tick before either but I did have a client who got Lymes Disease from one.

Sara......Good Luck!
fl.gif
Hope it goes well. Your chicks are the same age as mine and I'm gonna wait another week maybe two before I move them into the big coop. It still get really cold here at night. The little OEG is always under the light when sleeping yet. The other 3 like being on the little roost I have in there for them. My EOG is much smaller & younger than the others.

Thanks!!

M Sue, I was thinking of either doing it this weekend or next (they'll be 6 wks then), however I am fairly certain they are tired of being in the crate and I am definitely certain I am tired of cleaning up their mess in my house!! LOL...that being said, I really dont want them to die either so I'm unsure what to do. It's getting down to mid-30s at night here lately. We turn our heat down to 60 in the house at night and they have seemed to be fine even when they were younger, without the light. I figured in the coop it'll probably get down to mid 40s. And I have had them outside in the 50s to frolick around for an hour or two also. Dont know what to do, being a new chicken parent!! Maybe I'll get a little time this weekend to get everything prepped, hope the weather is nice.

Ok...no more tick talk LOL I had the heebie jeebies last night thinking there were ticks all over the place.
sickbyc.gif
I'm never (knock on wood) had one on me or my animals but rabbits I've shot (rescuing my veggie garden) have had them so I know they're around. When my brothers and I were growing up we used to walk the mud banks of this crick in Ohio looking for snapping turtles and would come out with leaches on our feet. I remember that we'd come up with all these crazy ways to get them off of us...my favorite was dumping a ton of salt on them. (insert evil laughter here)
tongue.png

Well, I have another week or so before chicks start hatching again and we're still working on getting the new coop up to par...but it is getting there! Someone had mentioned detactched air sacs from shipped eggs...and I was looking at some of mine and there are a few that are developing great but the air sac is not attached very well. It seems to stay at one end (although i didn't try flipping the egg all the way over) but when I candle it I can see the edges of the air sac move as I rotate the egg.
fl.gif
that the chicks develope and hatch alright.

So my chickens are approaching 5 weeks old, and they are pretty much fully feathered now. Do you think I could move them out to their coop yet, with no electricity out there? I plan to put some shavings and some straw down in there for insulation for them, and I haven't had a light on them since they were 2 weeks old anyway. I was thinking if I could get all that done then I'd put them out there this weekend. Any opinions?
My chicks are eight weeks and are fully feathered but they haven't spent the night out yet. It is still below freezing. Yesterday they were out in the little coop and run with the broody mom and her 7 chicks all day. In the evening I put them all in the little coop together. That's were I want them permenantly but didn't want them in together until the 2 month olds could get away from mom if she started picking on them. Anyway I took my son to the movies last night and when we got home I went out to see what they were doing and decide if I should leave them out or bring them in. I couldn't find all five, only 4. I went back to the house and got a brighter light and checked everything. No last chick. Finally I check the nest box where mom and babies are. The missing youngster had climbed in with the mom and babies, AND she let her! I decided it must be a little cold for them and brought them in.

I found 3 silkies in the bin at TSC yesterday, but I had to buy 6. The girl said all the birds with feathers on the feet were silkies... but, they only had 4 toes and the skin wasn't dark. Only 3 had 5 toes, the dark skin, beak and feet. Here's one of the other chicks I don't think is a silkie, anyone know what it is?

Is it a d'Uccle?

Looks like another cool day - hopefully not windy. Yesterday looked great until you stood outside ... and froze. I have sewing, cleaning and tractor building to do today. Hopefully I can get the roof and doors and windows on my tractor today while my DH is around working on his garage.

We usually get several ticks every year. If I find one on one of the dogs I just grab it between my fingers and give it a quick yank off, I've never had a problem with the bite site getting infected. I can't stand getting them on me though... I'll have the creepy crawlies for days!

Gotta get some coffee......... Happy Thursday!
GOOD LUCK SARA!!!
fl.gif

I like the NON Stop NOM!

Opa, anytime you want rabbit to eat, let me know!!!

It is a Millie Fleur Duccle. You should have just asked me for some lol. We have probably 30 to 40 Duccle chicks running around.

Thanks!!

M Sue, I was thinking of either doing it this weekend or next (they'll be 6 wks then), however I am fairly certain they are tired of being in the crate and I am definitely certain I am tired of cleaning up their mess in my house!! LOL...that being said, I really dont want them to die either so I'm unsure what to do. It's getting down to mid-30s at night here lately. We turn our heat down to 60 in the house at night and they have seemed to be fine even when they were younger, without the light. I figured in the coop it'll probably get down to mid 40s. And I have had them outside in the 50s to frolick around for an hour or two also. Dont know what to do, being a new chicken parent!! Maybe I'll get a little time this weekend to get everything prepped, hope the weather is nice.
Mine are in the garage and seem to be doing fine in there with the light and all but I'm gonna watch the weather and wait a few more weeks. Ideal temp for them I believe to put them out is 50 & above at night. That is what I did last year with my first group.

Hello Theron.....the chicks are doing great. I really need to get some pics of them to show you how big they've grown. They are an active bunch!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom