Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Theron.....the chicks are doing great. I really need to get some pics of them to show you how big they've grown. They are an active bunch!!

That's good. We have been waiting for our first 4 goslings of 2012 to hatch. They are externally pipped, but haven't zipped yet. Very anxious time right now. LOL

That's good. We have been waiting for our first 4 goslings of 2012 to hatch. They are externally pipped, but haven't zipped yet. Very anxious time right now. LOL

I would love to get a goose or two or a duck or goat or a horse, especially a horse but I need a barn first!! lol

My chicks are eight weeks and are fully feathered but they haven't spent the night out yet. It is still below freezing. Yesterday they were out in the little coop and run with the broody mom and her 7 chicks all day. In the evening I put them all in the little coop together. That's were I want them permenantly but didn't want them in together until the 2 month olds could get away from mom if she started picking on them. Anyway I took my son to the movies last night and when we got home I went out to see what they were doing and decide if I should leave them out or bring them in. I couldn't find all five, only 4. I went back to the house and got a brighter light and checked everything. No last chick. Finally I check the nest box where mom and babies are. The missing youngster had climbed in with the mom and babies, AND she let her! I decided it must be a little cold for them and brought them in.
Are you saying that the 8 week old climbed under the hen? Or one of the little ones? That is funny.

Quote:
Mine are in the garage and seem to be doing fine in there with the light and all but I'm gonna watch the weather and wait a few more weeks. Ideal temp for them I believe to put them out is 50 & above at night. That is what I did last year with my first group.

I cannot handle them in my living room until it is 50 at night, no way. There is no other place to put them that's sheltered enough, the garage is the man cave and also has no room anyway and our house is pretty small. Maybe I'll hook a light up out in the coop for them just to keep it at 50 or so overnight until it actually is that warm outside? They are pretty used to the day/night cycle already though because I dont put a light on them at all anymore...hmm. Decisions

Good morning Michigan. Still hanging out at the incubator hoping for peeps - nothing yet, but their "due date" is not until friday night/saturday am.
fl.gif

Chicks are not fully feathered until 6 weeks. After that they should be ok in an outdoor coop, if they are acclimated to the colder temps. There is a big difference between 60 degrees and 30 degrees.

When removing ticks do not grasp the body of the tick, or apply any caustic or irritating substances. Squeezing the body will basically inject the stomach contents of the tick through the mouth and under the skin. Applying nasty stuff (or attempting to burn them) can cause the tick to regurgitate (vomit) before releasing. Both of these two things can lead to infections. Opa's instructions are great. There is also a very inexpensive product called a Tick Twister that is really slick - removes the ticks without you having to touch them.

I cannot handle them in my living room until it is 50 at night, no way. There is no other place to put them that's sheltered enough, the garage is the man cave and also has no room anyway and our house is pretty small. Maybe I'll hook a light up out in the coop for them just to keep it at 50 or so overnight until it actually is that warm outside? They are pretty used to the day/night cycle already though because I dont put a light on them at all anymore...hmm. Decisions

Isn't there someplace in the Man Cave....just temporally, shuffle the tools & toys around? They do get things dusty. If you wait a week or two and put them out there with a light I think they should be OK as long as the night temps in the coop were right.

I've got 4-6 week chicks out in the coop without supplemental heat, they're doing just fine. Only way I'd recommend against it is if you've got a big batch. They're more prone to pile that way.

Last edited:
Isn't there someplace in the Man Cave....just temporally, shuffle the tools & toys around? They do get things dusty. If you wait a week or two and put them out there with a light I think they should be OK as long as the night temps in the coop were right.
There honestly isn't a bit of room in the garage. He has his jeep and motorcycle on one side, truck on the other, and the rest of the entire floor space is covered in tools, parts, shelves, and random other things. It would literally take me a week to clear a place for them and by then they're 6 wks old anyway lol.

Good morning Michigan. Still hanging out at the incubator hoping for peeps - nothing yet, but their "due date" is not until friday night/saturday am.
fl.gif

Chicks are not fully feathered until 6 weeks. After that they should be ok in an outdoor coop, if they are acclimated to the colder temps. There is a big difference between 60 degrees and 30 degrees.
Good luck with the chicks!! Listening to you guys hatch your chicks makes me want to try...maybe next year.

I know there's a big difference in that temp range, but it will not be that cold in their coop. It's not insulated but I used 1" thick wood when I built it and I also plan to add supplemental stuff for bedding which insulates (straw, pine, etc). I may keep them inside for one more week unless it gets really nice out.

I've got 4-6 week chicks out in the coop without supplemental heat, they're doing just fine. Only way I'd recommend against it is if you've got a big batch. They're more prone to pile that way.
How are the night temps where you are? Im not sure where you are located. I was hoping they would do ok at 5 weeks, the only place they dont have feathers anymore at this point is under their wings. Do they snuggle into bedding too, or just cuddle with each other?

fl.gif

When removing ticks do not grasp the body of the tick, or apply any caustic or irritating substances. Squeezing the body will basically inject the stomach contents of the tick through the mouth and under the skin. Applying nasty stuff (or attempting to burn them) can cause the tick to regurgitate (vomit) before releasing. Both of these two things can lead to infections. Opa's instructions are great. There is also a very inexpensive product called a Tick Twister that is really slick - removes the ticks without you having to touch them.

I've been staring at my incubator too hoping for peeps. I saw some wiggling but that's about it.
fl.gif
Maybe there will be some peeps when I get home.

It is a Millie Fleur Duccle. You should have just asked me for some lol. We have probably 30 to 40 Duccle chicks running around.

Thanks Taprock and Theron (I may take you up on it if I get all roosters or all hens) I may keep them after all, they're cute birds. What color do you think it is? Lavender? I didn't get these chicks on purpose... I only wanted the 3 silkies!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I would love to hatch some or a let a broody do the work but I just do not have the time to apply. I really don't know how those of you with kids, work & the everyday routines that are involved daily.....how you find the time. Some days I'm running none stop and I've always I got a list to do.
Speaking of lists I really need to go....I've got invoices to check, my mother's banking & bills to do plus clean the house, get prep started for Easter Sunday Gathering, baskets to finish, etc....the list goes on!!

Have A Great Day Everyone and good luck with the hatching....hope to see pics this weekend!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom