Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Are you saying that the 8 week old climbed under the hen? Or one of the little ones? That is funny.
Yes the eight week old was under the mom with the 7 - three week olds, although not so much under as half of her was hanging out! I was amazed the hen actually let her. The other four were on the roost huddled up.

Nice hen Theron, here are some mille fleur roosters - one who could use a home!
wink.png

Yes the eight week old was under the mom with the 7 - three week olds, although not so much under as half of her was hanging out! I was amazed the hen actually let her. The other four were on the roost huddled up.

That is too funny!! I wish you had a picture of that, I bet its hilarious and adorable.

I'm really new to all this, never had chickens before. I got 12 RIR chicks from TSC. As a result, this weekend will be spent building a coop. I'm hoping Olive gets some scovies hatched out (thanks again!).

Beyond that it's just a dog and a cat (who is dangerously fascinated by the chicks)

Oh and I should be getting bees and hives later this month.

Oh and Taprock and others, those mille fleurs are gorgeous!

Last edited:
Good luck on your interview Sarah! I'm sure you'll impress them!

I lockdown 38 dipped eggs today! They are due on Sunday. Please pray that they hatch clean of Mycoplasma gallisepticum!

Got my fingers crossed for you Daron! Let us know how it goes.
fl.gif

Well I had a fun morning with a friend who brought her friend and three grandchildren to see the chickens. She said they were so excited to come and had been talking about seeing the chickens all week. I got out early and cleaned the coop but left the eggs in the nest boxes so the kids could "find" them. Zoe reached in and picked up an egg and her eyes got as round as saucers. "It's still warm!!" she said. Even Grandma got a kick out of that and had to feel it. They noticed how each egg shell had a different texture; some are smooth, some are porous, some are grainy or wrinkled. I was amazed at the things they noticed and the good questions they asked. They also could not believe that eggs came in other colors besides white. I gave them each a hotdog bun to feed the chickens and they got the biggest kick out of that. I was careful to keep myself between them an Joe since he can get pretty aggressive. He behaved himself like a gentleman though and ate the buns they offered and then herded the hens out to the woods. They asked why my coop was named Egg Song Inn so I explained about the egg song and the little girls just loved the thought of each hen singing as she laid her egg. Nichole wanted to know why some of the hens had bare backs. I said "well, because the boy chickens or roosters jump up on their backs and scratch them with their toenails sometimes." I figured I'd leave it at that and hope they didn't want details. Little Mikey said "Yeah, when my Daddy gives me a piggy-back ride I scratch him with my toes too!" While we were standing in front of the coop one of the girls noticed that there are hundreds of little colored glass beads in the cracks between the cement slabs that I made the coop walkway with. They started picking them up and ended up with lots of little souviners to take home with them, including pretty feathers. The kids took their found eggs back to the house to take home as well as a dozen their Grandma bought and my friend took a dozen. One of the little girls named her blue egg Petunia and very carefully wrote it's name on the shell. When we came in the house I got Merlin, my macaw out to meet them, but they were way more impressed with the chickens. The kids were very well behaved and asked if they could come back every year to visit. Grandma said it was a wonderful adventure for them and took lots of pictures. I'm not around kids much and had forgotten how much fun it is to watch them explore and experience new things. It was a nice visit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom