Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Duct tape will fix all of those problems
thumbsup.gif
lol.png
Actually selling them is illegal.
Telling the kids that you are selling them is, however, just fine. Might even work. ;-)

lau.gif

hit.gif
I'm so sorry MOM2 and NOVA. Nova, you did all you could, literally. I really liked him, he was such a good man to his ladies. Things gotta turn around for you, they just gotta. I think he knew he was loved, or he wouldn't have lingered so long. :(
The hatchery orpington's are NOT the orpingtons you see in the chicken books, those are the ENGLISH orpingtons. Totally different, the english have so many feathers their legs don't even stick out, and they have tiny combs and are supposed to be very laid-back. Hatchery orpingtons have combs, and legs sticking out, and mine was MEAN. Great broody, but MEAN. My easter eggers are my favorite, they chase me down and jump right into my lap. :)
Click on the pic and it will get bigger.
This is what the orps are supposed to be: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/386051/the-imported-english-orpington-thread

Those are beautiful! I wonder if that is the same case with the Brahma's in some way because the book that I saw them in (and that made me fall in love with them) they were solid golden color...much like the buff orp pictured...but when I go to hatchery websites they all have black in their tales and around their heads/necks. :/ I just love the idea of big, fluffy, friendly gals with fluffy feet. :D

That sucks! I would be so bummed. :( I've thought about BO's...what are their temperments like? I am drawn to the Brahma's because they are supposed to be very docile, and I totally need that.
We have 5 BO's and 6 Light Brahama's and they're both pretty even in temperaments. They are extremely sweet and hardly make any noise at all!

Actually several did. I have my name as inventor or co-inventor of 13 patents.
very cool
That sucks! I would be so bummed. :( I've thought about BO's...what are their temperments like? I am drawn to the Brahma's because they are supposed to be very docile, and I totally need that.
I got my first chicks from McMurry's, I have sussex which are supper friendly, I got BO also very friendly and great mommas, Brahamas which are a little stand offish but very sweet and I loved their feathered feet EE com when you go out but don't like to be picked up(non of them do after they hit maturity, but all come running when any one goes out in the yard. Grand children can catch and pick up most but the sussex seem to be the most tolerant. I have other breeds also, most from McMurry's, some copper marans from Jerry in Ada, very beautiful dark brown eggs, sussex and marans If you are not concerned with getting show quality birds I have not had any problems with McMurrys. I also have a GREAT rooster from them, he has never gone after any one not even the youngest kids. I have had many other roos, that had to go to freezer camp because they turned mean as teens
Duct tape will fix all of those problems
thumbsup.gif
lol.png
lau.gif
that could be considered child abuse

Hi guys....need some prayers here. My nephew was one of the 4 soldiers killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan on Wednesday; he grew up in Shelby Township and graduated from West Point last June. He was due to come home in January. We are heartbroken. I understand at least one other young man was from Rochester and a third may be from Charlevoix.
sad.png

My tongue's bleeding from my own teeth, but I'm not going there. Most of you will know exactly what I'm talking about and Robin will be extra proud of me. So where the heck is my gold star?
lau.gif

Yes from Townline this year and Meyer 2 years ago. I will never order from them again. Townline refused to give a refund of any kind and were really terrible to me. I ordered BO and most were BO with some black colors in them. They're pretty but not what I ordered. Meyer sent me more chicks. Not what I wanted but I gave the mixed breeds to my best friend.

This is nothing new, hatcheries have never been known for delivering quality birds of any breed.

Last edited:
Hi guys....need some prayers here. My nephew was one of the 4 soldiers killed by a roadside bomb in Afghanistan on Wednesday; he grew up in Shelby Township and graduated from West Point last June. He was due to come home in January. We are heartbroken. I understand at least one other young man was from Rochester and a third may be from Charlevoix.
sad.png
So sorry for you family, prayers are with you all

I thought I had lost a chicken today, but looks like I found one.

After the afternoon feeding of my 8 week old chickens I noticed a Dominique had gotten outside the run. Apparently they dug a new dust bath spot and she managed to slide out under the chicken wire. (this is a day pen, not a secure night pen) Anyway, I noticed some feathers by the door and got worried so started counting. I saw all 6 Dominiques, all 4 BLRWs and the 3 Buckeyes. So I had to count my 11 Dark Cornish who would not cooperate but eventually I managed to count 10 several times. I looked around outside wondering whether he was hiding or worse, dead. Nothing, so I figured I miscounted. Then it occurred to me to add up the numbers.

When I got this batch DH and I only counted 25 as we put them in the brooder. I ordered 25 and was surprised we didn't get the extra chick we usually get. I lost 3 early so that leaves 22. And as I ordered 14 DC and the 3 lost were DC then that leaves 11 right? But there's only 10 I can see.
hu.gif
10+6+4+3=23. But I had lost 3. So that should be 22, right? So I must have gotten an extra chick and both DH and I counted wrong initially. Plus, I must not have ordered 14 DC because now I have only 10.

I'm not sure how this all happened, but this must be beyond chicken math, this must be chicken calculus. Or maybe, those imaginary numbers got in there somehow!

sad.png
That is awful! I am so very sorry for you and your family! I will definitely be sending prayers your way!
hugs.gif

My tongue's bleeding from my own teeth, but I'm not going there.  Most of you will know exactly what I'm talking about and Robin will be extra proud of me.   So where the heck is my gold star? :lau

This is nothing new, hatcheries have never been known for delivering quality birds of any breed. 

if I were on a real computer, I would find you a nice shiny one. And I think I know... And I am pretty sure its not me... This time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom