Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is nothing wrong with shooting a small buck. You should be proud of your success. The hunting club that I belong to has an 8 or better rule too. That's only because none of the bucks were living long enough to be nice. We eat a lot of venison in my house.

Hey, guys...I don't know if it's been posted already or not, but if not, just wanted to let you all know that Rose's (Chickflick) mother passed away last Thursday, 10/15. I just spoke with her, and she sounds exhausted, but they are on their way back to Michigan now. Let's all keep her in our hearts and prayers as she goes through the healing process.

Hillbilly Rooster. All we have in our freezer is venison and our own chicken and turkey. My husband was lucky enough to get 2 deer last year. One was a button buck, some of the best venison we have had yet. We were even able to grill it and it was good and tender. Maybe we will be headed out to the field tonight.

Quote:
To me it is a heat wave, I can wear a light coat and not be freezing!!!!

Have a great day and I think when the boys take their nap in a few, I am going to also! Waiting for Rachel to finish piano so they can sleep
smile.png

Quote:
Yummy---congrats on the deer!!!!
D.gif

DH got a doe on his DNR block permit this summer, and we are hoping he will at least get another during gun season. I did not grow up eating venison, but I have grown to enjoy it---my kids eat it no problem too. I agree with the whole idea of returning to the old ways and providing food for you own family. I am glad my family is learning how to be self sufficient---those skills never go out of style and I am happily trying to teach these things to my kids. My 11yo DD knows how to bake her own bread and loves to do it. I wonder how many of her friends would have the first clue what to do if the stores ran out of Wonder Bread.

Last edited:
Quote:
Cat....I always thought you were joking around w/ your avatar and status...I guess I was wrong!
lol.png

Man, my friend just had his 2 hogs processed last week....he had someone do the processing for him...don't remember who it was tho...someone in Bloomingdale? We're prolly too far away anyway...good luck on the quest for lard!
tongue.png

Where are you in SW MI? I live in Bloomingdale, could have been Jacks processing. He is in Bloomingdale and that is where we have our hog processed. He is a real good guy. I was just so surprised to see Bloomingdale in a post that is not mine. lol.

I'm in the Kalamazoo area (Mattawan).
My chickens live with my friend and his wife in Lawton...they raised the pigs...I dunno who it was that processed them...It was a guy and his high-school aged son....I think my friend said he was from Bloomingdale...? I just kinda watched from the sidelines while they talked and worked out the details and then dispatched the pigs...wow. It was quite a sight.
I will have to ask my friend who processed them. It may be Jack.
idunno.gif

Anyways, good to see another from the area!
frow.gif
I know people around here have chickens...they just must not be on BYC.

Good morning everyone!!
I just wanted to say thank you again to all who responded to my predator problem. I appreciate all the kind words and advice. We have spent these last few beautiful days buttoning down all my coops and runs.
On a much happier note for me, I have my first batch of eggs in the incubator I just bought. Last night we had our first hatch
celebrate.gif
:D . It was an awesome experience to watch with my family. Hopefully three more today.
fl.gif

Hope everyone has a great in this beautiful weather!!

Quote:
Where are you in SW MI? I live in Bloomingdale, could have been Jacks processing. He is in Bloomingdale and that is where we have our hog processed. He is a real good guy. I was just so surprised to see Bloomingdale in a post that is not mine. lol.

I'm in the Kalamazoo area (Mattawan).
My chickens live with my friend and his wife in Lawton...they raised the pigs...I dunno who it was that processed them...It was a guy and his high-school aged son....I think my friend said he was from Bloomingdale...? I just kinda watched from the sidelines while they talked and worked out the details and then dispatched the pigs...wow. It was quite a sight.
I will have to ask my friend who processed them. It may be Jack.
idunno.gif

Anyways, good to see another from the area!
frow.gif
I know people around here have chickens...they just must not be on BYC.

Yes, it is good to see someone local. I did see someone from South Haven on here, but they were not very chatty. I would recommend going to the chickenstock if you can, in the spring. It was so fun this last August. I got some awesome chicks at a great price and met some wonderful people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom