Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm with you Briana - no more in the house brooding. Those stinky ducks were the last straw (so to speak) for me! Just watched the Red Wings lose #2, hope Tuesday in D-Town will have a better result. Night, all. Tomorrow is back to work, no doubt the weather will be warm, sunny and dry, just the opposite of the weekend.
somad.gif

Can't help you with that bantam chick there Daughter of Eve, it looks like a regular chicken to me (whatever that may be
hide.gif

Grammi, Hi I am in Northern Michigan about an hour South of the bridge. I have just gotten my first chickens (and a couple of ducks). They are so cool, I just love them! They are out now and know there routine and look beautiful. I actually got the first ones (that are outside) in March. There is 2 cinnamon queens, 3 RIR, 1 Australorp, 1 leghorn, 2 ISA as well as to large pekin ducks (one with black tail feathers). They grow so fast. Inside I have 4 new babies 2 OEG bantam and 2 golden sebright bantams( so adorable!). I am also a mother of five and a grandmother of 8 and just turned 47 this year. I think I am in need of a farm. I only have one child left at home but 2 dogs, 3 cats, 3 kittens, and goldfish. Oh yeah a 15" koi too. I am located off old 27 South of Gaylord. Just curious how close are we?

OpaI currently am hatching all bantams. Spangled Hamburgs, Blue Orpingtons, and Vorwerks. While all of the chicks will be cute the vorwerks are pretty unique in that they hatch having yellow heads with black bodies and as they feather out they develop black heads and tails with a gold body.
[url :

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/uploads/10233_new_chicks_029.jpg[/URL]

Opa, you forgot to add that the Vorwerks are spastic nutcases!
lau.gif

I have six of them I bought from John Blehm, and they're bundles of nervous energy that seem to freak out if I breathe funny. However, I put them in a new brooder last week that has a big clear plastic window in front. They've calmed down a little bit now that they can look at me without me hovering over them. They're DEFINITELY not boring!

There will be turmoil when all my chicks are in the big kids coop; the Sebrights I got from TSC the last week of March utterly despise the Vorwerks
smack.gif
, so there's major drama whenever one of the young V's escape attempts lands them in the teenagers' brooder.​

Chickflick and I visited Babszoo yesterday and got a turkey hen that she and Vick2x2 picked up at wolf lake. What a beautiful girl!! Henry was a strutting fool. Wasn't easy getting that puff ball into the coop at night but he finally deflated and went to bed
smile.png
Also got 3 pekin duck eggs for a lady at work. She and her daughter love to hatch!
Off to work! Everybody have a great day!!

Oopsy, it was great talking with you last night. I'm so glad that you like your ducklings!

I let all the babies outside this weekend, since it was so beautiful outside. Of course, I had to take some pictures. Here is a picture of the ducklings' first day out:

36285_p5010072.jpg

This is one of my Pekin girls, who decided to take a bath in the ducklings' water:

36285_p5010070.jpg

The little Welsummer babies (that hatched from the eggs that Opa gave me) got adopted by one of my broody hens:

36285_p4300069.jpg

I've had them enclosed for three days, so I think it's safe to let them out today. I'm hoping that she's bonded with them enough to take care of them.

I have a Brahma chick (6-8 wks) and one of my other chicks (GLW) keeps pecking the feathers on her feet until they bleed
somad.gif
. Do you have any suggestions to stop this? I currently have her feet/toes wrapped to stop the pecking.

Thanks
smile.png

Bath Michigan here. Just north east of Lansing. Bought 9 pullets last week. Coop is almost finished. Chickes are fast approaching velociraptor size. I know its not a money saving plan but it does give me something to do and I do love good fresh eggs.

Hey you 8sushi! I'm in Dewitt - correct it's not a $$ saving venture, but rather a $$$$$$ spending venture...buy hey, It's all about what you enjoy! PM me if you'd like to come over sometime...what breed did you buy and from where? And be sure to look into the Chickenstock event...look for a posting from Opa -
wink.png

My four adopted Welsummer babies did great outside today. New mama did a fabulous job of watching out for them. The other chickens were curious about the new little ones, but no one got aggressive. If mama didn't like how close they were, she just puffed up and spread her wings. The little ones would run and hide under her until she let them out. It was so precious to watch!

good evening!

One of Rachel's bantam chicks flew out of the stock tank and outside today. She tried to catch it for a 1/2 hour then lost sight of it. No luck when I got home on seeing the little bugger....it doesn't help that it is camoflaged in the leaves along the hedgerow. I am hoping in a little while it will start being noisey and the wild birds will be quiet so I can here it.

Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom