Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took advantage of the nice day and cleaned out the coop. Halfway through taking the old bedding out our silkie, Shmoo, kept pacing outside the chicken door peeking in on me. I figured she wanted to lay an egg so I put half the bedding in and left it to her. She dug a couple nests then left the coop content with her work, so I put the rest of the bedding in only to have her come in and dig an even deeper nest.
lol.png

Also did a little yard work and uncovered the grill, the cover has been destroyed by a squirrel so it's trash anyhow. Turns out that squirrel also made a nest and had babies in one of the grill drawers, so we won't be grilling for a while.
hmm.png
We don't grill often anyhow, and as soon as the babies grow up we'll do something to ward off others from making a nest.

I'm going to Rives Junction to go get some silkies with my sister. I will keep my eye out for a splash for all those of you who are hunting for them! I'm only going to maran hatching eggs. Lets hope I only come home with those and nothing else! lol:oops:

Hey Bridgetteanne, welcome to the thread. I'm about 15 minutes south of you in Cascade. I'm fairly new to chickens within the last 1 1/2 to 2 years also but if I can be of any assistance please let me know. Don't know if you're familiar with chicken math yet, but I may have miscalculated how many chicks I needed this year. If I do end up with to many, I may be able to part with a couple. What I normally do when introducing new birds is like someone else said make sure they're the same size. When my birds are free ranging I put the newbies in a wire dog cage and put them out in the chicken area for a few hours. As it nears dark I put the cage in the run so the older chickens have to go by the newbies on their way to roost. After everybody has roosted for the night I go in and open up the cage so the newbies can go in the coop. I have never had any problems so far. Do you have a brooder for the new chicks? I just built a new one this year and actually have enough materials still to build another if you need one. Let me know if you want or need any help?

Went to the Newaygo swap meet today and sold 9 chickens.
ya.gif

But, I bought seven of them.....
hide.gif

At least that is less than I went with!
lau.gif

Quote:
I'm good till June or July, may not need any this year depends on if any chicks hatch from the batch that is in the bator now.
fl.gif
Thanks for asking.
Dawn

Quote:
I actually do cut mine back and it grows bigger than ever every summer

That's what the nursery told me but I just want mine to live from year to next!! Maybe I'll cut back 1 and leave 1 without cutting back. I cleaned the coop yesterday and cleaned out my garden beds but did NOT cut back the butterfly bush. You probably cut yours back in the fall??
Boy are we getting the storm up here this morning! No power outages...so far anyway. Hail...lightning, torrential downpours but power is still on. Discovered a bad leak in the new mudroom! We will be calling the builder tomorrow!

Good morning everyone! And where is Sam? I havent seen a post in a couple days- unless he snuck one in and I missed it.

I need to head out to TSC- does anyone know when they open on Sundays? I am getting some wood chips- and OMGGGGGGGGGGGGGG I need to pick up something to put these two week old banties in- I want them OUTSIDEEEE. I know I cant do that yet, but I really really do want them out. They are the noisiest critters ever. The problem with them is they do honestly believe that the ducklings are their mother. SO, whenever I take out the ducklings- they fuss like a chick separated from their mother. AND they do not quit. And I really need to put the three week old ducklings in their own cage now- they need a bigger waterer, they tip over the chick waterer and then the banties take swimming lessons and the brooder is all wet by the time I get home from work.
AND- I have no idea what breed they are, but I have some boys in there. They have been learning how to crow quite well.

Also- who wanted New Hampshire? If thats what these two really are, I will be bringing a pair to Chickenstock- unless the male starts crowing. Then they will be gone before then. I picked up these two at TSC labeled New Hampshire pullets. However, I have a male and female- at least that is the way it appears to be. Red comb, no feathers in on the shoulders yet, almost no tail feathers.....

The 'bator got pretty messy this time with so many hatchlings. I plan on putting these maran eggs in asap. How long should I wait after sanitizing? I plan on using a very weak bleach solution and air drying it. BTW I have a Hova Bator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom