Michigan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi - I'm in Oakland county and we're hoping to find 2 or 3 chicks or young hens for backyard pets and eggs (no roosters allowed). It's very hard to find such a small quantity - any ideas?

Thanks!
Deb

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=60753

A
lot closer to you than me! LOL I'll bet you could find a small quantity there as you could buy them one at a time
wink.png

Tororider - Where are you located? A friend of mine has fertile eggs that he has been getting and he said he would get you some. He lives on the outskirts of Romeo, but we work in Auburn Hills. Shoot me your email if you are interested and also how many you are looking for. He has a mixed flock.

Detroy,
Are you looking for any specific kind of breed? I wish I saw your post a day earlier, I sold 17 chicks to an organic farm yesterday, kept the other 4 for myself. If you want them now I can't help you but I will be hatching some more that should be ready in about a month. I think I am going to do some salmon faverolles, some araucanas, some buff orps and some rhode island reds. What I have available will all depend on hatching rates so let me know.

tororider,

I wish you had known too! I'm looking for anything that is relatively calm and quiet (yes I know they're really not all that quiet overall) and lay well for a suburban backyard. Buff orpington, isa brown, australorp, wyandotte, those have been recommended to me but I'm open to suggestion too. These will be my first chickens, my husband had them as a child though. The problem is that we may be going away in mid-August, so I want them to old enough to be easier to care for by then (for the bird sitter). I think new chicks in a month will be too young.

Quote:
Where in Oakland county are you? The reason I ask is Dottys in Clio is supposed to be getting chicks in within the next two weeks you also might check Dottys in Flint (they are in the phone book) to see if they are getting any in. Try to find out if there is a grain elevator near you too they may know of people with chicks for sale etc locally. Just a couple of ideas for you. There is also a 4h thing at the wayne county fair grounds on the 21st of this month that might be ideal for you, there is a post in the poultry show/swap section on it. Hope this helps and good luck! Let us know if you manage to keep it to only 2 or 3 doesn't seem like many of us have managed that sort of will power LOL

Just wanted to say hello to my fellow Michiganders from Reed City in Osceola county. I'm raising 11 barred rocks, 11 Buff Orpingtons, and 16 RIR . I'm going to keep 3 or four each of the hens, but am planning to butcher the extra hens and Roos come the first week in July. If anyone is interested after I pick out the layers I want I 'l sell the extra hens. I have some descent Barred Rocks and Orpingtons, and it seems a shame to eat them.....although we certainly will!

Free BO roo. Real sweet even though his mind is starting to dwell on hens
smile.png
. Around 10 weeks old so he's a perfect age to introduce to a flock. Chickflick got this boy from Mason Farm and Feed on April 1, so he's hatchery stock. Not SQ because of muddy tail feathers.
We named "her" Bonnie for "Bonny Lass", he's now Clyde. Very nice boy, sits on our laps and loves to be petted.
Would keep him but too many roo's. Chickflick might part with her PR roo instead. Also hatchery stock but, IMHO, he is SQ. Not agressive at all.
I will also post this in Buy-Sell-Trade.

Newbie here. I live in Portage and don't have ANY CHICKENS!! It's a tragedy, I tell ya.

I do, however, have a hubby, a teen, and 3 siberian huskies. I'm just exploring right now and seeing if this is something that would work for us. I had chickens growing up, but never paid any attention to them -- it was my parents' thing, not mine.

Hello Freeda, My sister lives in Portage... she is not a chicken fanatic, although one of her kids would like her to be. It is amazing how many people are raising chickens in cities and towns. Have fun on this website- it is kind of addicting!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom