Midnight majesty marans

Pics
Sandychell, appreciate the photos. Were you chicks from Hoover? Were they sexed accurately?
I just ran across these MMMs due to losing a couple of marans to a predator last night. I'd ordered a few Barnvelders, Welsummers, and Marans from Cackle. Well, 2 or my 4 marans got it. Kicking myself for not ordering more for this possibility.

I've never ordered from Hoover, which seems to be the source of these, but they and Meyer are the only outfits still shipping Marans for the year. All hatcheries seem to have supporters and detractors. I use Cackle because they are one state away, have good availability usually, and I've had good luck.

Guess I'll get some from Hoover, trying for Sept 4, which should provide good shipping weather. I've noticed that people tend to complain about losses just when they should expect them. Feb? Too many chicks together, they trampled -- too big a box, they froze.

BTW, I'm dying for a double-yolker. Never have them with my dark brown layers.

I did get these chicks from Hoover Hatchery. I believe they are sexed by color so you should get all females. All of mine were female. One runt with pasty butt died not long after arrival. The other nine were healthy, but I lost four to predators. I lost 13 chickens this year alone to predators. We moved and are near woods with abundant wildlife and it took us a while to finally get one step ahead of all of them.
These are my first marans. I love this breed. The eggs are gorgeous and my hens are sweethearts.

Sandychell, appreciate the photos. Were you chicks from Hoover? Were they sexed accurately?
I just ran across these MMMs due to losing a couple of marans to a predator last night. I'd ordered a few Barnvelders, Welsummers, and Marans from Cackle. Well, 2 or my 4 marans got it. Kicking myself for not ordering more for this possibility.

I've never ordered from Hoover, which seems to be the source of these, but they and Meyer are the only outfits still shipping Marans for the year. All hatcheries seem to have supporters and detractors. I use Cackle because they are one state away, have good availability usually, and I've had good luck.

Guess I'll get some from Hoover, trying for Sept 4, which should provide good shipping weather. I've noticed that people tend to complain about losses just when they should expect them. Feb? Too many chicks together, they trampled -- too big a box, they froze.

BTW, I'm dying for a double-yolker. Never have them with my dark brown layers.

I did get these chicks from Hoover Hatchery. I believe they are sexed by color so you should get all females. All of mine were female. One runt with pasty butt died not long after arrival. The other nine were healthy, but I lost four to predators. I lost 13 chickens this year alone to predators. We moved and are near woods with abundant wildlife and it took us a while to finally get one step ahead of all of them.
These are my first marans. I love this breed. The eggs are gorgeous and my hens are sweethearts.

I think they are lovely birds but you know they are not pure Marans. They call them Midnight Majesty Marans but they are really a crossbreed of Marans.

I have read on here someone saying they were copper maran and austrolop mixed for egg color. Hoover does not say as much on their website so I think that was just speculation. Regardless they have become my favorite.

I think they are lovely birds but you know they are not pure Marans. They call them Midnight Majesty Marans but they are really a crossbreed of Marans.

We'll lose one to a hawk now and then, but I've got three large male dogs: German Shepherd, Big Black Stray, and Border Collie/Heeler mix that roam around the farm during the day.
The German Shepherd keeps everything away, with Big Black Stray as his henchman. The only trouble is that Shepherd is always coming home with cuts from chasing coyotes. His leg is a mess right now. Stitched, chewed them out, and now it has to try and fix itself. Awful.
So, one solution is as painful as the other.

81664F57-2730-411D-9160-BD64CDC56983.jpeg
At about six months old my mmm hens are laying more regular. I had four mmm eggs in the collection today.

Back
Top Bottom