I looked at chicken feces charts, and am unsure how to categorize this... Also, it dried a bit, but a few minutes ago, it had a bit more white around the main fece....
poo.jpg

Yesterday, and for the last few days it has been 60-70 degrees. Last night it dropped to 37 degrees, and it still is.

So, normal? Sick? One off? This is the second I have seen in the last 2 days
The hen seems fine.

For future reference, are these slightly milky feces ok? If a see a few a week, is that fine?
It could be from drinking more water than usual.
I hope so! I just don't want it to be some disease or illness, like kidney disease or something.
Could it be too much protein? I feed them soy-free 18% hearty hen Nutrena. I switched to this for the winter, to help with molting. I am trying to figure out if I should return to 16% with soy

The white is urates or kidney waste and it is watered down. Chickens will do this when drinking more water than usual. I would look for any chickens that might be having crop issues. Crops should be empty first thing in the morning. Are the chickens all acting normal and eating well. Do any have large full crops in the early mornings? Do you feed a balanced chicken feed?

The white is urates or kidney waste and it is watered down. Chickens will do this when drinking more water than usual. I would look for any chickens that might be having crop issues. Crops should be empty first thing in the morning. Are the chickens all acting normal and eating well. Do any have large full crops in the early mornings?
None of my hens have crop issues this morning, or the last week. They are acting fine, free ranging, and foraging. Thank goodness! But I am keeping a close eye on them.
So, should I not be worried if I see these watery feces, and the chickens are acting fine?

How old are hour chickens? I wouldn’t worry if they look fine, and just watch the droppings. Droppings can change all of the time depending on what they eat and drink.

For future reference, are these slightly milky feces ok? If a see a few a week, is that fine?

I hope so! I just don't want it to be some disease or illness, like kidney disease or something.
Could it be too much protein? I feed them soy-free 18% hearty hen Nutrena. I switched to this for the winter, to help with molting. I am trying to figure out if I should return to 16% with soy
Maybe a little solid coconut oil could help rejuvenate their absorption of food

@Eggcessive
The hen in question is 2 years and 2 months old. My flock consists of chickens from 8 months old to 2 years old.
So I will only worry if they start acting sickly (not eating, have impacted crops in the morning, etc)

Last edited by a moderator:
@Eggcessive
Just saw two more milky poos…Not sure if it’s from the same hen…. Everyone is acting fine.

It has been raining all day btw.

Time to give a dose of Corid? Or, as long as all the chickens are fine, don’t worry?

(The second pic isn’t very good, but the white on the dirt is where the ‘milky’ part of the feces was)
40E01E6D-B49D-4797-AC2B-A498E7A0A629.jpeg
3EE79675-2FFF-4A67-BEB3-DCC98AFE3EE5.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom