mille fleur raisin chicks!

countryhatcher

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 17, 2014
Hey guys! I was wondering about my mille fleurs! I was wondering if my hen raises chicks around my rooster, will the rooster hurt them? thanks you guys in advance.

Well that is tough decision to make...if you have more than one rooster than make sure it's the alpha rooster that your chicks our around, if its not the alpha rooster then he might kill the chicks because they are not his. Now if you only have one rooster than you must be very carful as how to approach this. Put the chicks and their mom in closed space where the rooster can still see them, then see if the mama gets protective or the rooster try to peck at them through the cage, if either of those happen then they probably won't get along. Now if all goes well you can let them out of the cage. Still watch closely to make sure the rooster doesn't change his mind. Our rooster was fine with our chicks he was also the alpha rooster and we took the situation very seriously and carefully. Hope this helps!

I've had broodies raising chicks here for many years. I try to move the broody with her eggs into a large dog crate, well after dark. This protects her and her eggs from the other hens. After the chicks are about five to seven days old, they start to mingle with the flock, as I open the cage door. I have never had a problem with a rooster injuring any of them. Mary

Thanks everyone sadly my mille fleur rooster died while i was on vacation but now im looking into gold dutch bantams are they good banties? I want a bantie tht will raise her chicks but the rooster is not to mean!? Is that a good breed to go with? If not can you please tell me what is?!?

I have a broody silkie and the egg she was on didn't hatch. So, I've gotten her two newly hatched silkie chicks. I've tried to move her into my other coop (before adding the new chicks tonight) and she is just not having it. I wouldn't move her, but she chose a really weird for her nesting area. She did allow me to put a container under her to keep the egg from rolling away weeks ago. I moved her the egg and container into the new coop and she just paces and leaves the egg. Now she is back up in the old coop with no egg....laying on nothing. I'm afraid the chicks will fall down hatch that leads down to the run where she originally started out. Any suggestions?

Back
Top Bottom