Minimal, liquid, yellow poop, will not roost, lays on the floor. Help!

jldschickens

Chirping
9 Years
Jan 19, 2013
I've been devouring information and I still can't figure out what this might be. Black Orpington, about three years old, started having runny poops about 2-3 weeks ago. After about a week she tried to roost in the nest boxes, acted like she couldn't balance on the roost bar. Now she is pooping nothing but a yellow liquid in very small amounts, will not roost, lays on the floor instead. She eats and drinks normally, crop fills at night but is spongy in the am. She appears to be possibly losing weight, is sluggish, but moving and will come running, as best she can, to get treats. Still eating and drinking water, but I don't think she's getting enough water, so may have to try giving her water by hand. She hasn't laid an egg in three weeks, but after all this time, I doubt that she is just now eggbound. Her vent looks normal, although not normal for a fertile chicken Last night her abdomen felt full, this morning it was normal. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I'm going to clean up her backside tonight, it's been too windy and cold to do it unitl now, so I've only been cutting off the poop that was sticking to her. Now that her poops are this small in amount and so liquidy it is running down her feathers in the back. This appears to be getting worse, although I am (for the last week) treating her for upper respiratory with Vet RX for chickens. Although she had no symptoms of an upper respiratory infection, I was hoping the lack of interest in roosting, could have been an ear infection. Could she have a yeast infection in/around her vent? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

The yellow poop and weight loss can point to a couple of different things. One is a reproductive infection such as egg yolk peritonitis (EYP). The other, possibly related, is liver disease.

Is the swelling of her abdomen behind the legs and just below the vent? Or is it mostly in front of her legs? The former would indicate EYP. You might consider starting her on an antibiotic such as amoxicillin. You may be able to get it from TSC or you can find it online.

The yellow poop and weight loss can point to a couple of different things. One is a reproductive infection such as egg yolk peritonitis (EYP). The other, possibly related, is liver disease.

Is the swelling of her abdomen behind the legs and just below the vent? Or is it mostly in front of her legs? The former would indicate EYP. You might consider starting her on an antibiotic such as amoxicillin. You may be able to get it from TSC or you can find it online.
Thank you!! The swelling was definitely in front of her legs, but I'm going to try the amoxicllin just in case, thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom