Minnesota!

Oh and just so you know it is not legal to carry a sidearm while archery hunting for deer.
I understand why but the DNR will not let you off with it. If a deer is shot they will even get you for poaching if you are carrying a sidearm. Just letting you know. Watch who you are telling. Stay safe up there.

Thanks for this advice, too. He hunts with a rifle. Gave up archery a few years ago. He got the handgun last year.

Cougars are amazing creatures but they are dangerous. If they are more frequent and are considered a real danger then maybe the DNR needs to reconsider the law, at least in areas such as yours.

Hi Heidi,

Interesting that you're bringing up the cougar subject.   My understanding is that these were not native to our area but that the DNR brought them in for deer population control.  Without consulting the public....and have now put us and our children in danger.  Friends around here have seen one not far from from where we live. One got run over by a car a year or so ago.  So they are around.  We live at the back side of 40 acres that is next to hunreds of acres of state and county land. My husband hunts deer in the fall and now (because of cougars, wolves...altho they say the wolves won't bother you)  would not dream of going out there without a loaded 22 handgun as well. Sigh. Not a perfect world.

And I'm sorry to hear you have to put up with this, too.

Heidi, what happened to your rooster?

Cheryl

Hi Missa, I am not sure what happend to my Rooster. I found him just outside of the barn door gasping for air and was cold. I tryed to get him to warm up but his breathing kept getting worse so I tryed the steam in the bathroom but no luck. I had to put him down as he never wormed up and was just getting colder. I am really bumbed out as he was gonna be my cornish cross pappa. I do have 2 of his hens and they grew extremly fast but hatched no roosters to replace him. I guess I will just stick with my production RIR's and my BA's. Thanks for asking.

Hey Minnesotans ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, where are you? :D I was wondering if anybody is going to the Hutchinson Swap or the Show

Or New Ulm. Is anyone from around New Ulm?

Last edited:
Hey Kris... I only live about 14 miles from New Ulm. There are 2 swaps in Hutchinson... Sept. 8th is the MSPA one and Sept. 15th is the MN Game Breeders. Unfortunately I have to work 10-12 hours on both of those days and thus won't be going to either one. I hope to get down to the big Waverly IA one on Sept. 23rd. The next New Ulm bird event is the BCPPA Fall Classic Poultry Show on Oct. 12-14th. You can buy/sell birds there as well. Amy

Cougars are amazing creatures but they are dangerous. If they are more frequent and are considered a real danger then maybe the DNR needs to reconsider the law, at least in areas such as yours.
I live down in southwestern MN. A couger was shot this last spring a bit south of us and the guy got in alot of trouble. There was another hit on highway 27 just south of Sleepy Eye last spring. The guy that keeps his cattle at our place over summer farms on 27 between Sleepy Eye and New Ulm. Just this summer, the DNR gave them open permission to shoot on sight. They have another cougar in that area taking poultry, small pets, etc. I've heard more reports of them by Gibbon, Mountain Lake, and North Mankato.

Hi Amy,
Do you know if there are different sellers at the show than there are at the swaps? Many years ago I found some Mille Fleur OEGBs at the show/swap and have not been able to find any since then. Do you know of anyone who has these? Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom