Minnesota!

Hi fellow Minnesotans, :frow
1f64b.png
I'm so excited I found this thread :celebrate :weee :bun . Now I can talk to people from my home state. I'm up on the iron range. Anyone else up here? Who got chicks this year and what breed(s)
1f424.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
:jumpy . Did anyone go fishing on the fishing opener this year?
1f3a3.png
I know there is some ice still left on many lakes up here. Is there a lot of ice or any ice on the lakes in southern mn?

Hi fellow Minnesotans, :frow
1f64b.png
I'm so excited I found this thread :celebrate :weee :bun . Now I can talk to people from my home state. I'm up on the iron range. Anyone else up here? Who got chicks this year and what breed(s)
1f424.png
1f425.png
1f423.png
:jumpy . Did anyone go fishing on the fishing opener this year?
1f3a3.png
I know there is some ice still left on many lakes up here. Is there a lot of ice or any ice on the lakes in southern mn?

Right now I have I have lf black Cochin hatching.

Right now I have I have lf black Cochin hatching.

Nice :) I've never had a Cochin. But I've seen pictures of them. They're very pretty birds. I was gonna pick up a Black Australorp, Barred Rock and maybe 2 guinea hens this year but our feed store didn't get those breeds in unlike last year. All they had was meat chicks, ducklings, goslings, white leghorns and red sex links. I'll probably have to have them order the chicks I want with their big order next year.

welcome-byc.gif
and the Minnesota! thread.
I only have old english game bantams. I have 20 adults and, at the moment, 18 babies (4 just hatched last night) with another broody on six eggs and two more hens who are acting like they might want to set also. I don't know what I'll be doing with all the chicks when they grow up.
My husband went fishing with some buddies for opener. They ended up with seven nice northerns. All the ice is gone from our lakes around here (middle of the state).

:welcome  and the Minnesota! thread.
   I only have old english game bantams. I have 20 adults and, at the moment, 18 babies (4 just hatched last night) with another broody on six eggs and two more hens who are acting like they might want to set also. I don't know what I'll be doing with all the chicks when they grow up.
   My husband went fishing with some buddies for opener. They ended up with seven nice northerns. All the ice is gone from our lakes around here (middle of the state).

Thanks for the nice welcome bantiesrule.
I only have 6 hens 0 roosters so I have really small flock. So far I have 3 RIR and 3 White Rocks. I would love some Old English Game bantams but my mom had a mean bantie rooster growing up so she's made it clear to me no roosters and defiantly no bantie roosters. She actually said no bantams period. It sounds like your husband and his buddies had a pretty successful opener. My dad and me didn't get out on the opener this year. The lake we usually fish on still has ice on it. I'm hoping it thaws out soon.

Ok, here's the next results from my mini chicken opera. There are 2 more going into lockdown next week from this same pairing, but she has stopped laying again for a while, so we'll see if there will be further installations of this saga past these 4 and the next 2. They are so crazy adorable. Their cheeks are so fluffy and they appear to all be bearded. They all have pretty heavily feathered shanks and feet. And one has a little puff on the top of it's head which it clearly got from it's mother. I have affectionately nicknamed that one "chunk" because it is the roundest fluffiest of them all. I took several photos of each bird and one of each of their backs to show their coloring well. I can hardly wait for them to grow some wing feathers. Until I have an idea what they are going to look like, I'm not even thinking of selling any of these, so they will probably go in several weeks when they can be sexed, or maybe not at all if they are pullets. :) Considering how small both parents are, these chicks are sizeable - they would dwarf my pure d'Uccles at this same age. Chick #1 This is "chunk". Chunk was the last of these to hatch and needed a tiny bit of assistance because (s)he was so big (s)he was wedged into the shell pretty tightly. Chick #2 Chick #3 Chick #4
Don't you think we should be seeing updated photos by now?!?!?!?

I just set 200 eggs in the hatcher last night, so I suspect I will have a few more of them by Wednesday or so. Otherwise, just a couple hundred or so in the brooders, a few more outside and the adult flock here.
wink.png

I have a few New Hampshires to sell if anyone is interested. Also, Black and Blue Orpingtons are hatching great the last couple of batches.

We will be moving to a house in St. Francis sometime June, I am so excited! I plan on having Salmon Faverolles and Russian Orloffs, does anyone know of someone who will have chicks available?

Also one day we plan on having a miniature donkey, maybe a mini cow, and definitely some goats to provide us with milk and so I can make cheese one day =)

I have another batch of faverolles hatching right now. How many are you looking at getting? I'd have about 5 left from last week's hatch and maybe about 10 coming out this week. I can save up til next week if you wanted more than that?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom