Minnesota!

Ah YES! Finally, thanks to Ralphie's tutorial : "How to post a pic on BYC 101" I was able to upload my picture that I tried to do a few days ago. This is the fella/lady that is spending lots of quality time here at our property. So far, it has just been cleaning up the pasture and has left my birds alone. I hope it stays that way! We have been able to walk within about 10 feet of it. Pretty cool!
Wow! That's awesome!

A week and a half old this week. One of them started flying out of the brooder box to roost on the edge. Added a grate to the top.

Want to dance?

I want to thank you all for being a fun little spot in day. This past March I had surgery for Epilepsy and just last week I was airlifted from my home to Abbott Northwestern downtown for a seizure. Day after I got home, our 12 year old son was out walking our hunting dog before school with my mom on a quiet road and he got hit by a car. Our country vet was just a quarter mile a way and got stitching immediately but he doesn't think the leg is going to make it. I have five kids and it's been a handful lately, but we have an amazing community here. (A sheriff that pops in over here and gets my kids folding laundry when he sees they're not helping enough!) great family, friends, neighbors. We find each day full of gratitude and humor and I just wanted to tell you all the few moments on here with your photos and jokes and learning along with all your wisdom has been fun.

Adorable chicks!

Sending prayers and hugs your way. :hugs

Last edited:
My hen that has always been the lowest in the pecking order is the only one finding any enjoyment in bullying the new comers. And my biggest bossiest hen "Mabel", hasn't gone after them once.

My hen that has always been the lowest in the pecking order is the only one finding any enjoyment in bullying the new comers. And my biggest bossiest hen "Mabel", hasn't gone after them once.

That actually makes sense to me. They all know top hen is so far beneath her and not worth the effort to show up. The bottom one is afraid of going even further down the order if these new ones are ahead of her.

That makes sense what Raphie is saying about @Cyrus83 pecking order.

Probably because we Minnesotans love to chat, especially over a cup of coffee. I am told we are famed for talking to complete strangers met in stores, doctors offices, the lines at Movie Theatres, Coffee Shops etc.

Thank Goodness the world has a few of us Minnesotans to chat up a storm and bring a bit of friendliness into the world. My husband can strike up a conversation with anybody. Airplanes, sporting events....wherever and whenever.

Want to dance?

I want to thank you all for being a fun little spot in day. This past March I had surgery for Epilepsy and just last week I was airlifted from my home to Abbott Northwestern downtown for a seizure. Day after I got home, our 12 year old son was out walking our hunting dog before school with my mom on a quiet road and he got hit by a car. Our country vet was just a quarter mile a way and got stitching immediately but he doesn't think the leg is going to make it. I have five kids and it's been a handful lately, but we have an amazing community here. (A sheriff that pops in over here and gets my kids folding laundry when he sees they're not helping enough!) great family, friends, neighbors. We find each day full of gratitude and humor and I just wanted to tell you all the few moments on here with your photos and jokes and learning along with all your wisdom has been fun.
That Bottom chick picture makes me want to squeeeee....beautiful.

I hope things get better for you. My goodness. What a week! My Dad always says, "When you're sleeping on the floor its hard to fall out of bed."
big_smile.png

Same with new introductions at my house. The biggest Kritz is our low hen. That would be Marigold currently. Although our High hen is quite contentious to any bird.

Here's the Kritz. Don't let the cute puffy cheeks and beard and cute eyes fool you. And she is a self absorbed Diva as well.

Thanks, I knew I was a helpful techie guy. Did you find an 11 year old like I said?

Would you mind posting this picture on https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/946654/calling-all-wild-bird-feeders/230#post_15115344

There are a few of us that feed wild birds on it and they would be as amazed as I am at this picture.. DO NOT LET THIS GO TO YOUR HEAD, but that is one of the most fascinating, best wild bird pictures I have ever seen......

Thanks Minnie, I turned it down on my own before reading what you said, figuring a little low would be safer when I am at 102. I candled the eggs and put them in last night. I must be a terrible hatcher, I think only 2 of the 7 creamette eggs might hatch. BUT being desperate for baby CL's I put them all in anyways.

Paint in coop, who would have thunk it! What's next, running water?
Thanks Ralphie, another thread I'll have to catch up on and keep track of. Not this morning though, gotta go.

Thank Goodness the world has a few of us Minnesotans to chat up a storm and bring a bit of friendliness into the world. My husband can strike up a conversation with anybody. Airplanes, sporting events....wherever and whenever.

That Bottom chick picture makes me want to squeeeee....beautiful.

I hope things get better for you. My goodness. What a week! My Dad always says, "When you're sleeping on the floor its hard to fall out of bed."
big_smile.png

Same with new introductions at my house. The biggest Kritz is our low hen. That would be Marigold currently. Although our High hen is quite contentious to any bird.

Here's the Kritz. Don't let the cute puffy cheeks and beard and cute eyes fool you. And she is a self absorbed Diva as well.

OOOOOOO she is pretty!!

What about using Kilz paint for the sealing and mildew/mold killing or blocking properties? (And let it air out). Or is it better to go low VOC.

We painted our living room with a Behr low VOC paint this summer and I couldn't believe the difference. I used to get headaches when painting, no matter how well ventilated. Nothing!
You are absolutely right! Even the regular paints aren't too smelly any more. The oil base stuff tends to be the really bad stuff, lacquers and clear finishes, but even some of those are better than they used to be.

Probably because we Minnesotans love to chat, especially over a cup of coffee. I am told we are famed for talking to complete strangers met in stores, doctors offices, the lines at Movie Theatres, Coffee Shops etc.
on airplanes, in restaurants, in foreign cities to people who don't even speak Minnesotan, like Buffalo, NY, Orlando, FL, Des Moines, IA....

Back
Top Bottom