miracle babies.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenlver2013, Aug 10, 2013.

1. chickenlver2013

chickenlver2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have muscovy and bantam eggs in the incubator and the power went out around 5:00 this morning. And it still hasn't come back on. How long will they survive?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    What day of incubation are you on? If in the early stages (one week or less), or the later stages (last week or so before hatching) your eggs have a better chance of surviving. The middle of incubation is the worst time for a power failure.

I'm not sure exactly how long they'll survive. What is the temperature in the incubator right now? This power failure will slow down their growth rate, no matter how long it lasts, and possibly kill them.

Hopefully, the power comes back on soon! For now, try wrapping a towel around the incubator, but don't cover the air holes.

3. chickenlver2013

it finally come back on. I set the scovy eggs in the incubator the 17th. And the bantam eggs on the 26th. I'm on the last week of incubation for the bantam eggs and the scovy eggs are due the 21st

4. Angelak

Angelak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2013
    Macon county,tn
    Good luck I had that happen to me for a few hours 1 day n had no hatch sucess...

5. chickenlver2013

only three scovy eggs made it and four bantam eggs made it

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  6. Angelak

May 4, 2013
    Macon county,tn

Congrats! Pretty awesome to have that # hatch with a long power failure

7. chickenlver2013

They probably wouldn't have made it if I hadn't of held them against my body for so long.

8. Angelak

May 4, 2013
    Macon county,tn
    Wow! I wouldnt have thought to do that,if I had maybe I would have a hatch of a few

9. chickenlver2013

Well 10 hours is a long time so I decided to warm them for an hour and a half just enough heat until the power came back on. Believe me its hard being a hen. When you are sitting still everything starts itching.

1 person likes this.
  10. OrganicVanek

OrganicVanek Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2013
    Quote: that's the truth!! Glad you had some success!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by