Misconceptions

Quote:
Wow, now on a couple of posts people have brought up the egg shell color as a misconception - kinda like brown cows give chocolate milk. It was not that long ago that folks lived off the land. My grandmother was born in a soddie (sod house) and rode a horse to school. My greatgrandmother rode in a covered wagon with her first husband (don't even ask!) and later saw people walk on the moon. How can we be so far away from reality when people think that "store" eggs are better than our eggs?

Maybe I can answer that. My grandparents had a cow, they got milk and made fresh butter for the family. But when margerine came along, it was colored yellow to make it different from real butter. But then folks wanted the yellow color and even butter started being dyed yellow. (at least this is how my mom explained it to me) Now the norm for butter is salted and dyed yellow....

Anytime someone comes to see the chickens I get the same thing...why do you have so many roosters, doesn't the red thingy on its head mean its a boy?
It gets soooo annoying
rant.gif
roll.png

Quote:
Wow, now on a couple of posts people have brought up the egg shell color as a misconception - kinda like brown cows give chocolate milk. It was not that long ago that folks lived off the land. My grandmother was born in a soddie (sod house) and rode a horse to school. My greatgrandmother rode in a covered wagon with her first husband (don't even ask!) and later saw people walk on the moon. How can we be so far away from reality when people think that "store" eggs are better than our eggs?

Maybe I can answer that. My grandparents had a cow, they got milk and made fresh butter for the family. But when margerine came along, it was colored yellow to make it different from real butter. But then folks wanted the yellow color and even butter started being dyed yellow. (at least this is how my mom explained it to me) Now the norm for butter is salted and dyed yellow....

Actually butter made from good fresh cream is VERY yellow. So I would think margarine was dyed yellow to make it look like good butter. Butter from our grass fed herd has more color than butter from the store.

"Silkies are always broody and are no good for eggs...."
>>>Well I live in Europe and altho the silkies here are a wee bit different (breeding for the "vaults" is highly discouraged) ... mine are egglaying machines and the only way I can get them to stop is to allow them to get a clutch (usually after about 11 eggs they will get broody and sit them) ...so to give them a break from non-stop laying I allow them to hatch once a year!

"chicken poop stinks"
>>>well I will agree on that only in regards to a broody poopie (and that WILL knock you to the floor!)
Actually what surprised me is that it is not the poop that stinks (nor a coop if you simply replace the bedding/nesting material regularly and keep all dry) IT IS THE FEED THAT STINKS!!! >>> the feed stinks to high heaven when old wet etc. peeeeeuuuuuwwwww!!!!!

Actually butter made from good fresh cream is VERY yellow. So I would think margarine was dyed yellow to make it look like good butter. Butter from our grass fed herd has more color than butter from the store.

You are right, I had it backwards in my head!​

Probably the biggest one I've heard is, "Chickens are really stupid."

It seems to me that that isn't the case. They aren't as intelligent as dolphins, but they can take care of themselves with minimal assistance. I'd say that most breeds are about as smart about self-preservation as any wild bird, which is impressive given how long they've been domesticated. Just watching chickens free range for a while gives some decent evidence of this.

I was just told by some guy that if I had a roo...I would not want to eat the eggs? Is this true?? I only have 6 babies and I want them for eggs!

The big misconception that I myself was suffering from:

It's possible to have only three or four chickens!
gig.gif
lau.gif

So many breeds, so little space!

Back
Top Bottom