Missing Hen and freezing temps tonight..

wornoutmomto3

Crowing
9 Years
Jan 6, 2014
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
One of my hens went missing earlier today. She hopped my neighbors fence and disappeared. I was hoping she would return by the time the sun set, but still no sign of her. I am still hoping she will turn up, however, tonights low is 17 F. Can she survive on her own in temperatures so low? She is only 4 months old.

Welcome to BYC. Hopefully she is holed up in a nice big fat bush somewhere roosting out of the cold. It is really worrisome when one doesn't show up at roosttime. Get out there at first light, and look to see if she is back. Good luck!

I'm so glad to hear that she was safe. I would probably lock them in the coop today if it is going to be cold again tonight, Younger pullets will sometimes avoid going into the coop in the evening unless a light in on. Also when they fly over fences to visit, some aren't bright enough to know how to come back. This is just a part of chicken raising--the frustrating part. I clipped wings which does no good, and can make it difficult to get away from predators. Now I just open gates and they come back on their own. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom