Need help with a lame hen.

Tormund

In the Brooder
Oct 1, 2023
We have a 18 month old Rhode Island Red hen who turned up injured. She is not using her right leg at all when you pick her up it just hangs limp and there is no resistance from her moving it around at all. When she tried moving, she would hop on one leg with the other just dragging under her with the toes curled. I put her in a small kennel with food and water and she is eating drinking and laying there clucking at out rooster crowing in the back yard. (He gets very vocal when a hen is missing) None of the joins or any of the leg look swollen or misshaped and both feel the same temperature although with her laying on them it may hide a possible fever.

OK update on the chicken. I picked her up and moved her leg through full range of motion and it felt like it popped. She flinched a little bit but again did not act like she was hurt. A few hours later she has actually started picking the leg up when she stands up and Shes keeping her tows out straight instead or curls when she lifts her leg. Both of which she was not doing before.

I completely forgot to keep this updated, but the hen is fine. She does still have a little bit of a hitch when she walks but it doesn't seem to have affected her mobility and more importantly, she doesn't act like there is any pain.

Back
Top Bottom