Missing my duck, just need to get it off my chest :(

E.D.GardenFarm

Songster
Sep 15, 2018
Ireland
I wasn't sure I was going to write this but I just needed to get it out, I haven't been a part of BYC very long at all but I've seen how kind and sweet everyone is to each other and I feel this is a good place to talk because there are others who will understand.

Just over a month ago we lost one of our two Aylesbury ducks unfortunately, I got them when they were only 3 days old and watched them grow from tiny yellow fuzz balls to huge snow White (until they stuck their heads in a muddy hole they made) beauties, they were (and always will be) my babies.

I have so many stories I'd love to share at some point but right now I just need to let out the feelings for my baby that day.

She passed away just over a month ago, we had gone on holidays for a week and my friend and her family were popping in every day checking on the 2 ducks and 2 guinea pigs. Everything was okay, we got home and were out saying hello to them when I noticed Pip (the duck) was in the little pool inside their run which was odd because they hadn't used that for ages since we let them have the whole garden. I noticed she wasn't moving or quacking, I knew something was wrong so I went in and she was laying at the edge propping her head against the edge. I immediately lifted her out, she was soaked through and so heavy with water as though she had been there for a very long time and she couldn't move at all but she was alive.
I brought her straight into the house and we got towels to start trying to dry her and warm her because she was shaking, from cold or shock we weren't sure. I looked up things to do and vets but it was late and most would be closed. We started heading towels and getting the hair dryer on low but warm, following all online directions

It seemed to be working, she could move her head around and eventually she started kicking her feet but still couldn't stand, we kept at it and she really seemed to be improving. I found a vet who was still open and called, he said other than what we were doing for her all he could do was give her liquids so it wouldn't be worth our while bringing her over. We had been sqirting water over her beak in hopes some would go in as she couldn't open her beak, I told him this and he said we would have to open it by hand to give her sugar water, I thanked him and relayed this information.

She was doing better so we tried to open her beak, this really seemed to stress her out so we stopped after a while and went back to just holding her and trying to warm her up. Not too long after that my baby girl stopped breathing in my arms. It seemed peaceful in a way and she was with the ones who loved her instead of a strangers vet but I do believe trying to open her beak stressed her too much and her little heart gave out, I know we tried our best but I can't help think if only we'd been here we would have seen her in the pond sooner, I 100% do not or did I ever lame my friend or her family because they were so very helpful and of course who would think it was strange to see a duck in a pond.

Pip was always the more outgoing of the two, as a duckling she would climb up onto my shoulder and fall asleep there, even as a big almost white duckling she tried it. The teenage years were more independent but still sociable but the month or two before her passing she became quite friendly again, coming up to chat, wandering into the house, she even came inside and sat on my lap once (I didn't have my phone on my at the time so heartbreakingly I didn't get a pic but I'll always remember) my sweet girl I will always love who will forever have a place in my heart.
Waddle, my other ducky baby, seems to get sad and lonely when Pip was gone but we have since get ten 6 rescue hens and she has taken over the "Mammy role"

I'm sorry this is so long, I just needed to get it out, needed to talk to people who would understand, after reading some duck forums I just missed my baby girl, thank you to anyone who even reads, I have plenty of nice lovely stories of the two for another time :( :) :hit

Back
Top Bottom