Mites/lice - now hen growling?

Overview of Canine Ivermectin Toxicity
Ivermectin toxicity is seen when an overdose of the drug ivermectin is administered or consumed or in pets with increased sensitivity to the drug. Toxicity results in any number or combination of clinical signs ranging from mild to extremely severe, including death.

Ivermectin is a commonly used parasite drug that causes neurologic damage to the parasite, resulting in paralysis and death. Ivermectin has been used to prevent parasite infections, as with heartworm prevention, and to treat infections, as with ear mites.
The most common causes of ivermectin toxicity are due to administration of excessive doses (10-20X the recommended dose) and breed sensitivity. Breed sensitivity to lower doses occurs in some dogs such as in the collie, Australian shepherd Shetland sheepdogs, Old English sheepdogs and English sheepdogs although not every “sensitive” animal in the breed is affected. Toxicity may also result when ivermectin is used in high does in conjunction with the drug Comfortis™ (spinosad).
For dog breeds predisposed to the disease, an autosomal recessive trait (MDR-1) gene has been identified that causes a defect in the p-glycoprotein multidrug transporter to the blood brain barrier. This allows for the ivermectin pass into the brain at low dosages thus causing toxicity. This trait may also cause toxicity from other related drugs and should also be avoided or used in lower doses in susceptible breeds.

Toxicity can occur from a one-time injection or from daily dosing.
  • Treatment is largely supportive and symptomatic, as there are no specific reversal agents available to treat ivermectin toxicity. However, if an accidental exposure was recent (with 4 to 6 hours), induction of vomiting may be recommended, gastric lavage and activated charcoal to minimize drug absorption.

General care may include:
  • Intravenous fluid and supplemental electrolyte therapy.
  • Nutritional support via intravenous feeding or through a feeding tube.
  • Appropriate bedding, frequent turning, physical therapy and lubricants for the eyes for the recumbent patients. Heat support or fans may be used to support high or low body temperatures. Urinary catheters may be placed for patients that are recumbent.
  • Mechanical ventilation (respirator) for the patients who have respiratory depression.
  • Treatment of seizures using medications such as diazepam or propofol.
Prognosis
Prognosis depends on the severity of the clinical signs and your dogs individual response to treatment. Some dogs may require days to weeks of supportive care.

What is the ivermectin for and how do you give that to them?
It’s for mites and lice. 5 drops on the back of the neck, on the skin, for a standard size chicken. (6-7 drops for giant size or rooster, 3 for bantams) Then retreat in 10 days, then every 4-6 months for up keep.

When I dusted them three days later, I saw no more bugs. But continued the treatment. Works for me!

Some withdrawal some don’t. I’ve read the ivermectin dip there is no egg withdrawal? So I don’t really get how that works.

If there’s an egg withdrawal, and I have a broody hen. Should I worry about the babies?

The dose is not drops. :D Birds should be weighed or at least have their weights guessed and the proper amount should be given. I have bolded the amount I use.

There are two types, one is injectable, the other is a pour on. The doses are different.

The max dose for 1% Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.045 ml per pound. This can be given orally, by injection, or topically.
A five pound hen would get 0.23 ml.

The minimum effective dose for 1% Ivermectin is 0.2 mg/kg which is 0.009 ml per pound. This can be given orally, by injection, or topically.
A five pound hen would get 0.045 ml

The max dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 1 mg/kg which is 0.09 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five pound hen would get 0.45 ml.

The minimum effective dose for Pour On Ivermectin is 0.5 mg/kg, which is 0.045 ml per pound. This is given topically only.
A five pound hen would get 0.23 ml

DO NOT USE this on your dogs unless you are working with a vet!

Back
Top Bottom