Mites or molting...

jwyles

Crossing the Road
7 Years
May 8, 2017
Louisiana
In my flock of 9 6-8 (ish)month old pullets only two are laying. I've been being patient but Ive also been noticing feathers all over their coop which I kept thinking was molting but it's been going on a long time so I'm suspecting mites now. I don't see any mites on them but I still think it might be why they aren't laying. Is there something that is safe and effective I can use as a precautionary treatment? It seems like I read something about seven dust once but are there any natural yet effective remedies?

Permethrin and spinosad are both natural and effective preventatives and treatments, both considered to be organic. I use spinosad under the label Elector PSP. It's a bit different than the permethrin in that it works by enzymatic action. Mites are a bit more difficult to control than lice, so while Sevin would work fine on the latter, I prefer permethrin or spinosad for mites.

Examine the skin of your chickens where the feather loss seems worst. If mites are responsible, you should see red, irritated skin. If molt is responsible, you should see an even distribution of pin feathers in the heavily affected areas.

Molt differs in duration and intensity by individual. I've seen molt completed in a month in some of my chickens, while others can take months.

Permethrin and spinosad are both natural and effective preventatives and treatments, both considered to be organic. I use spinosad under the label Elector PSP. It's a bit different than the permethrin in that it works by enzymatic action. Mites are a bit more difficult to control than lice, so while Sevin would work fine on the latter, I prefer permethrin or spinosad for mites.

Examine the skin of your chickens where the feather loss seems worst. If mites are responsible, you should see red, irritated skin. If molt is responsible, you should see an even distribution of pin feathers in the heavily affected areas.

Molt differs in duration and intensity by individual. I've seen molt completed in a month in some of my chickens, while others can take months.

Well now my inexperience is showing and I honestly don't know if it's mites or lice. I'm going on a hunch. When I move their feathers around I don't see anything unusual. Just clean skin and normal feathers. It doesn't seem like they are losing large amounts in any particular area. Should they be molting at 6-8 months old? And is there something I could use that will kill lice and mites other than 7 dust? And will only hurt to treat them as a precaution? Thank you for your help!

You may be seeing juvenile molt. It's not as drastic as adult molt, but you can't help but notice more feathers flying about than usual.

Permethrin, spinosad, and Sevin are all safe to use as a precaution. But if the chickens have lice, those are very visible on the skin around the vent.

If you suspect your coop may be infested with mites, you might see what appears as "dirt" on the butt feathers, and you may be able to see the mites crawling on the chickens' legs if you go out to the coop after dark and inspect the roosts with a flashlight.

I've been seeing feathers for at least two months. Again their ages are 6-8 months. Does that sound normal?

It's normal! I have some juveniles right now going through it, ages three months and six months. Every chicken is an individual. Whether they molt fast or slowly or hard or lightly, it's an individual thing.

Aw man! So that means, from my understanding (pardon my ignorance this is my first flock), that they won't lay until they're done right?

No, no! Juvenile molt is only a mini-molt. It won't affect point of lay at all!

However, the shortening daylight may postpone the onset of laying on some of your pullets, though they may get in under the wire before the days get any shorter.

Back
Top Bottom