1. midman

midman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2016
    I have a black Australorp rooster with my 6 Rhode I Island Red hens. I noticed he is missing feathers on both side of his back, the saddle area. I checked it out and noticed some tiny mites moving around on the bald area, and there is a healing denuded area , no active bleeding. What would people suggest to treat for these ?

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Garden Spray poultry dust is good.Just dont use DE.Really anything with a active ingredient of Pyrethrins will be good.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    It's probably simple poultry lice, not mites. Permethrin poultry dusting powder is cheapest, but you need to treat again a few times in order to get the ones that have hatched from eggs laid at the base of the feathers.

That's a good way to identify whether or not the chicken has lice or mites. Look at the feather shafts around the vent area. If it's lice, the feather shafts will be coated with lice eggs.

I like a product called Elector PSP. It's a highly concentrated liquid, a biological not chemical treatment, and it's usually effective after just a single application. If you have mites, you will also need to treat the premises.

4. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    @midman , welcome to BYC!
    Least expensive way to treat is with permethrin garden dust or 10% permethrin spray.

-Kathy

5. BantamLover21

BantamLover21 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Permethrin or Sevin dust used for gardens are good choices. Dust the bird thoroughly and repeat the dusting in 7-10 days to kill mites/lice hatched from eggs.

You should probably dust the whole flock, even though you only saw mites on the rooster. Mites can travel easily from bird to bird and even in small numbers can affect a bird's health.

6. midman

midman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2016
    If I use the permethrin dust or spray on the hens do I need to discard their eggs for a period of time.

7. anaflorida

anaflorida Just Hatched

Jan 16, 2017
    Has anyone tried Diatomaceous Earth/DE? For treatment or prevention?

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcnome to BYC! Safe to eat eggs when treating with permethrin.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
  9. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC! I tried it and it didn't work.

10. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by