Mites

Casper417

Songster
6 Years
Aug 30, 2014
Staffordshire
I have a silkie cockeral with mites i have treated him with 'poultry lice and mite powder' and that has reduced the amount of mites but i am struggling to completely clear the mites, they are mainly on the top of his head so he his shaking his head alot. Also The rabbit that he lives with has just recently died so im very worried that hes feeling lonely and not his usual happy self. Ive bought some natural garlic extract to add to his water as i've read that this will help stop the mites feeding.

Does anyone have any other ideas on how to get rid of the mites completely and as quick as possible please.

Many Thanks,
Gemma.

Buy some sevin dust, put it in an old sock and use it to powder him. Also add garlic powder to his feed when you refill his feeder as mites don’t like the taste of garlic blood :sick
I use this recipe on all my chickens except for silkies because their feathers tend to absorb it, I did use it on them a few times but eventually only powdered the silkies.
B6542DB3-F9B8-48E0-94EC-BC2E5C353F7E.jpeg

Not only do you have to treat the chicken, you also have to treat the area they live in. I've found that dust does not get to where it needs to be to kill mites. I like to wash chickens in cat flea shampoo (weather permitting) and scrub the roosting area with any miticide liquid suitable for chickens I spray my coop with Permectrin on a routine basis. Those who want to go the natural route can use Dawn dishwashing liquid to wash the chicken and scrub the coop and roost.

16500_L_vvs_000.jpg

I've treated the pen with a spray that kills the mites and also prevent the eggs from hatching. I've put garlic extract in with his water, how long will it be until that's in his blood so they stop feeding on him? also how much would you suggest that i put in the water and how often. hes only got a little dish that holds approximately 300ml of water. I worry about giving him too much of the garlic in case it hurts him. or is it more effective to put he garlic extract on his food?

Thank you.

I've treated the pen with a spray that kills the mites and also prevent the eggs from hatching. I've put garlic extract in with his water, how long will it be until that's in his blood so they stop feeding on him? also how much would you suggest that i put in the water and how often. hes only got a little dish that holds approximately 300ml of water. I worry about giving him too much of the garlic in case it hurts him. or is it more effective to put he garlic extract on his food?

Thank you.
Sprinkle some garlic powder on his food. If he’s eating from a small food bowl then add like a quarter of a spoon of garlic powder.
ETA: You can put a clove if garlic in his water bowl also.

Last edited:
I'm going to buy some garlic powder to add to the feed. Is there a specific brand that is definitely safe and do i go for the organic or just normal garlic powder.

Thank you.

This is all awesome info. So garlic powder in the food works and they still will eat it? And the permectrin on the birds and the coop and run?

Back
Top Bottom