Mixed Breed Photo Reference *please read guidelines in first post before adding content*

I have a flock or cream legbars and 2 groups of bantam cochins. I usually let my spare roosters roam free, normally just excess bantam cochins. But in my cream legbar flock, I tried to keep a father and son, but the son decided he wanted to be top dog. So I allow the older one to run with the cochin boys.
One day, the legbars got their gate open, and a few girls got out. So I decided I’d just leave them out with their old rooster.

it’s coming up on hatching time. I would never sell the eggs from the yard girls, since mating with a cochin is possible, but since the regular CL hatches are auto-sexing, I wondered if I would be able to tell at hatch, if one of the cochins happened to be the father.

Feathered legs - would they dominate? I assume the chicks would be smaller, since the cochins are bantams. The current free cochins are Splash in color, so what might that do to the cross?

Pictured is the older rooster, and one of the girls (there are 5 roaming), and one of the splash roosters is in the middle of the ducks below, the other is back by the fence
EAEA54D3-0030-4C7E-81E8-077EF27AEF86.jpeg
BC7AA489-C8E7-4A84-84D5-FC10EB811E86.jpeg

If you are hatching legbar eggs, the chicks would be BSL. Although the blue may make it hard to see the barring spot on their heads. Feathered legs would be dominant.

Feathered legs - would they dominate?

Yes :)

The current free cochins are Splash in color, so what might that do to the cross?

This is a sex-linked cross. Theoretically what you would expect would be all blue females and all blue barred males, possibly with some color leakage.

They should have little crests too, I think :)

Thank you ladies! :bow

I totally forgot about the crest too! Might be some cute little chicks. :D

But sounds like they would be different enough than pure CL chicks, that I could sell them as mixes, without waiting for them to mature. thanks again.

Anybody have these crosses?

Barred Rock X Chocolate Orpington
Barred Rock X Light Brahma
Barred Rock X White Leghorn
Barred Rock X Buff Amerucana
Barred Rock X White Amerucana
Barred Rock X Cuckoo Maran
Barred Rock X White Silkie
Barred Rock X Buff Cochin
Barred Rock X Blue Cochin
Barred Rock X Rhode Island Red
Barred Rock Bantam X Buff Orpington Bantam
Barred Rock Bantam X Rhode Island Red Bantam
Barred Rock Bantam X Easter Egger
Buff Orpington X Rhode Island White
Buff Orpington X Light Brahma
Buff Orpington X White Silkie
Buff Orpington Bantam X Rhode Island Red Bantam
Buff Orpington Bantam X Barred Rock Bantam
Buff Orpington X White Amerucana
Buff Orpington X Easter Egger Bantam
Rhode Island Red Bantam X Barred Rock Bantam (aka Black Sex Link Bantam) if there is one :lau

Anybody have these crosses?

Barred Rock X Chocolate Orpington
Barred Rock X Light Brahma
Barred Rock X White Leghorn
Barred Rock X Buff Amerucana
Barred Rock X White Amerucana
Barred Rock X Cuckoo Maran
Barred Rock X White Silkie
Barred Rock X Buff Cochin
Barred Rock X Blue Cochin
Barred Rock X Rhode Island Red
Barred Rock Bantam X Buff Orpington Bantam
Barred Rock Bantam X Rhode Island Red Bantam
Barred Rock Bantam X Easter Egger
Buff Orpington X Rhode Island White
Buff Orpington X Light Brahma
Buff Orpington X White Silkie
Buff Orpington Bantam X Rhode Island Red Bantam
Buff Orpington Bantam X Barred Rock Bantam
Buff Orpington X White Amerucana
Buff Orpington X Easter Egger Bantam
Rhode Island Red Bantam X Barred Rock Bantam (aka Black Sex Link Bantam) if there is one :lau
Light Brahma rooster x Barred Rock hen
39FA6A75-335D-4F04-87B2-00677374F7DE.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom