Mixed Breeds

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Fire26, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Fire26

Fire26 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2015
    I have on order some Orpington's, Wyandotte's and New Hampshire's - 4 ea. to start my own little chicken raising project.
    They are all due around the 1st of April. I was wondering about picking up 6 Bantams in the mean while. Do you think they would mix well in 2-3wks?

2. cityfarmer12

cityfarmer12 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2014
    Missouri
    I've had success in mixing bantams and standards, but there are a few things that i do to make it better for them. I have two waters and two feeders in different area's of the coop so they are getting enough and not being chased away by the others. I also have plenty of roosts, and have an extra little pen in case someone is getting bullyed. always make sure to have a plan b n where it put the little guys if they are getting hurt by the others. otherwise, bantams are fun and very cute additions to the flock. Good luck!

3. mymilliefleur

mymilliefleur Keeper of the Flock

Nov 4, 2014
    East Tennessee.
    Welcome to BYC! X2 on what cityfarmer12 said. Make sure they have plenty of space, and keep an eye on them. They will probably so fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by