Mixing banties with standards in a flock - what are your thoughts?

Should I mix bantams into my standard size flock?

• Never mix banties in - they will get hurt!

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • You can mix them, but be careful!

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I have seen them mixed all the time and they do fine!

Votes: 11 50.0%

• Total voters
I love Seabrights! Unfortunately I haven't been able to procure any yet. Generally I have to choose from what's locally available, which has meant a very mixed flock. It's not ideal but I have been blessed in that so far it has worked.
I have had the worst luck with acquiring banties in the past. Either it's not the right time of year for them to be sold or they are unsexed or they die at 3 days old :hit . I found these on Craigslist. They are a little girl's 4H project and she made $20 off me - I love supporting 4H! ❤️ Your flock is my ideal! But I don't have a big enough coop...yet...

I have had the worst luck with acquiring banties in the past. Either it's not the right time of year for them to be sold or they are unsexed or they die at 3 days old :hit . I found these on Craigslist. They are a little girl's 4H project and she made $20 off me - I love supporting 4H! ❤️ Your flock is my ideal! But I don't have a big enough coop...yet...
By accident rather than design I have always had bantams ~ & frizzles! :lol: My flock has never known anything else & I suspect that makes a big difference. I can add banties & frizzles without major dramas.

Standard Roosters are compatible with Standard hens and Bantam Roosters are compatible with Standard hens. However, Standard Roosters are not compatible with Bantam hens as the size difference can be very dangerous to the smaller hen.

I had a mixed flock for a number of years. Last year when I got a new young flock they all did fine until my two new standard roosters grew up. Then my old Bantam rooster started hiding. That’s when I removed the two older bantam birds. In the past all the roosters got along fine. I think it depends on age. The old guy is no match for these young boys!

I have 7 RIR and 3 bantams that I started together. They have now ganged up on the smallest bantam and almost pecked her to death. She is currently recuperating away from the flock. Not sure how to integrate her once she is healed.

After quarantine and a look-don't-touch period, banties are now fully integrated into the 'big coop'. It is day 2 and all is well. They sure do like to hang out on in the rafters of the run and can seriously fly! I think this cuts down on bullying because the banties just take flight and the big girls are like "WTF??! How did she do that?"

I am picking up 3 sebrights tomorrow and am wondering if I can mix them in with my standard hens after quarantine. What are your thoughts?
It should be fine as long as your standard flock is all hens. I have a mixed flock, there are no problems except I have to rehome most of my standard size roosters because they are aggressive to my japanese bantam.

I have three bantam Cochins in a flock of at least 50+ large fowl breeds/mixes, and there are no problems!
Except when the Bantam Cochin rooster takes a shot at one of the head honchos hens.

Then again, the head honcho goes after all the younger, inexperienced cockerels, regardless of size or breed.

I have even kept a Little bitty D'Anver rooster in the same bachelor pad pen with a rooster at least three times his size, about an 8-9 pounder.

Back
Top Bottom