Mixing ducks of different sizes

FuzzyDuck

Chirping
Jul 17, 2021
Hi everyone! Maybe a dumb question, but should I be concerned about mixing ducks of different sizes? I currently have a flock of mostly Cayuga ducks and drakes, and I’m planning to add more females to even out the sex ratio. Should I avoid smaller ducks? I like runner ducks, for example, but they look lighter and I wouldn’t want my drakes to be too hard on them…

some people have runner hens in mixed flocks with bigger drakes but I personally wouldnt want to. I tend to lean to the extra cautious side. I dont even have any drakes anymore at all. I have 13 all girl ducks 2 girl chickens... and while I do have a gander & goose pair I keep them separated from my ducks and chickens.
If you do have the nerve to try it you need to wait until the new girl ducks are about 5 months old before they are with any of the older drakes. You will also want them to have a large enough area to live in so they can get away and hide if they want to.

some people have runner hens in mixed flocks with bigger drakes but I personally wouldnt want to. I tend to lean to the extra cautious side. I dont even have any drakes anymore at all. I have 13 all girl ducks 2 girl chickens... and while I do have a gander & goose pair I keep them separated from my ducks and chickens.
If you do have the nerve to try it you need to wait until the new girl ducks are about 5 months old before they are with any of the older drakes. You will also want them to have a large enough area to live in so they can get away and hide if they want to.
Thanks, that was my instinct, I do tend to be more cautious as well. We’ll focus on bigger breeds when finding new girls to integrate. And definitely a good point about ensuring a way to hide or take a break if needed!

Back
Top Bottom