MJ's Challenge ~ The Voyage Out

Pics
Today I'm reading the last couple of chapters of the Race After Technology before Monday evening's bookclub, but I'll read chapter 6 of TVO tomorrow.

Also, the copy I ordered weeks ago is at last on it's way to me! I'll be sad to say farewell to the library's copy. It's an old-fashioned fabric hardcover in a lovely shade of green with gold lettering on the spine. The pages are yellowed with age. And it still has one of those tables stuck to the back cover with all the return dates stamped into it.

IMG_20210313_082653.jpg

The Mitford sisters grew up in a place called Asthall Manor (built 1620) which, completely randomly, opened its gardens to the public for a sculpture exhibition when I happened to be driving by with some friends on a mini-break around a business meeting outside London. I too am a huge fan of Nancy Mitford's and have re-read Love in a Cold Climate multiple times. So naturally we had to divert our journey to inspect. It is totally delightful with magical gardens that have inspired me ever since.
I've come across a video on youtube which has a few moments (at 4 minutes 30) of Pamela Mitford with her doggo, pony and chooks, which were Appenzeller Spitzhaubens (not spell-checked!)

I've come across a video on youtube which has a few moments (at 4 minutes 30) of Pamela Mitford with her doggo, pony and chooks, which were Appenzeller Spitzhaubens (not spell-checked!)

Oh what a treat - it is too long for me to finish now - but thank you for linking to that. What marvelous cut-glass accents! The house I went to visit for the sculpture exhibition was the middle of the 3 houses they show - Asthall Manor (spelling?)

I ended up watching the whole thing too - it really was a delight. Thank you for finding it!
No worries, but I can't claim any credit because it popped up after I'd watched an episode of Brideshead Revisited and reminded me of our earlier chat about the Mitfords.

Back
Top Bottom