MJ's Challenge ~ The Voyage Out

Pics
I am in the middle of Chapter IV and getting more into the swing of it. To me they currently all seem to be quite unattractive people in the sense of being so snobby and critical of others. But I am increasingly reading it as more of a satire about the social constraints and norms. That may be a wrong reading but it is helping me not get exasperated with them all!
I think that is a correct reading.

I read the first 3 chapters, going over them again because I think I have wrapped my head around all the names 😅 so I might pick up more the second time through.
The opening paragraphs about busy streets etc reminded me of living in Melbourne city and getting stuck behind a group of 3-4 people all walking across the footpath, casually chatting and being oblivious to others behind (especially when you were racing to the station to catch a train 😂

She's quite poetic. The rhythm of her phrasing lulled me into a passive frame of mind at one point.
I love some good descriptive prose when it fits the passage and isn’t every 2 paragraphs. Then it feels like the author is trying too hard to convince you they are a good writer (if that makes sense.)
I’m also quite picky if an author uses the same word too many times in a short period. It grates me somehow 😅 not hard to grab a thesaurus hahaha

I love some good descriptive prose when it fits the passage and isn’t every 2 paragraphs. Then it feels like the author is trying too hard to convince you they are a good writer (if that makes sense.)
I’m also quite picky if an author uses the same word too many times in a short period. It grates me somehow 😅 not hard to grab a thesaurus hahaha
I am with holding judgement. I doubt a writer as good as Woolfe has unintentionally used words repetitively. I am also unsure whether she has yet settled into her *voice* because I would agree she sounds quite stilted @ times. At others I agree with MJ, she is quite poetic but it makes for an unevenness of style @ present.

I am with holding judgement. I doubt a writer as good as Woolfe has unintentionally used words repetitively. I am also unsure whether she has yet settled into her *voice* because I would agree she sounds quite stilted @ times. At others I agree with MJ, she is quite poetic but it makes for an unevenness of style @ present.
Oh no, sorry, I didn’t mean in this particular book about the repetitive words. Hasn’t been noticeable to me if it’s happening in this novel.
It was a general comment about more recent books!
Apologies, I should have made it a separate comment

Back
Top Bottom