MJ's Challenge ~ The Voyage Out

Ok, I've figured out what is pinging me off so much about this book. The mantra for a good novel is show, don't tell. Woolfe does a lot of telling. I feel like I'm being lectured rather than reading a novel. And that has to be one of the most bizarre chapters I have ever read! So much repressed something or other going on ~ & not between the characters. :gig OK, moving on now. I have a feeling it will get stranger yet...🤔

Ok, I've figured out what is pinging me off so much about this book. The mantra for a good novel is show, don't tell. Woolfe does a lot of telling. I feel like I'm being lectured rather than reading a novel. And that has to be one of the most bizarre chapters I have ever read! So much repressed something or other going on ~ & not between the characters. :gig OK, moving on now. I have a feeling it will get stranger yet...🤔
It's a very weird novel. She set out to break many of the rules and formats, which is never good for readers. But it turned out ok for the artform, enabling others to strike out after her.

My problem is that I'm too unperceptive to see what she replaces those rules and formats with. And I don't like looking things up because it's not as good for the expansion of my own mind's capabilities.

It's a very weird novel. She set out to break many of the rules and formats, which is never good for readers. But it turned out ok for the artform, enabling others to strike out after her.

My problem is that I'm too unperceptive to see what she replaces those rules and formats with. And I don't like looking things up because it's not as good for the expansion of my own mind's capabilities.
I'm all for breaking the rules but the bottom line is: this is a communication format. If you don't communicate well it doesn't really matter how clever or innovative you are. Far better to be understandable & clear. Shakespeare was. It's what still makes him a great story teller. Off my soap box now. ;) :lol:

Back
Top Bottom