MJ's little flock

Old Gorgeous is taking some time away from her nemesis.

View attachment 2974777

She doesn't really need to because Peggy is almost completely over her broodiness. She didn't sit at all yesterday and she's calmer.

I'm indulging Mary's anxieties by letting her have her own space away from Peggy.

Tomorrow I'll insist they both go in the run.
She is such a lovely lady. 💗

G'day MJ.
Just popping in to see how you and the girls are and check up on any progress.

From the lack of posts it would seem you are still in a holding pattern at the moment.

Take care. Thinking of you. :hugs
Yes, mate, still in a holding pattern.

I'm beginning to consider options in case the last chick has died in the shell.

So I've got a question for everyone: which do you think is best?
  • A pair of teenage pullets.
  • A few chicks for Ivy to raise.
I'm not asking which is cuter and more fun. I'm asking which is best for the flock?

I'm not asking which is cuter and more fun. I'm asking which is best for the flock?
Pullets. There's no guarantee Ivy would accept the chicks & you'd have a huge problem on your hands. Is it worth waiting till they go broody again & trying eggs again? That still seems to me the best option.

Oh I don't know MJ. My instinct is chicks because it gives everyone a chance to get used to each other rather than being presented with a full on competitor. But watching Betty and Phyllis over at FBAs makes me not so sure.

Pullets. There's no guarantee Ivy would accept the chicks & you'd have a huge problem on your hands. Is it worth waiting till they go broody again & trying eggs again? That still seems to me the best option.
It's just that time is slipping away and I'm to be too hectic in February to have enough time for chicks as I'd like.

It's just that time is slipping away and I'm to be too hectic in February to have enough time for chicks as I'd like.
Then pullets. If I remember correctly Shad had quite a bit to say about it ~ I think on Bob's thread when he was getting chicks. Pullets you will get some squabbling initially but no~one will kill anyone & you will have layers through winter more than likely.

Then chicks are out. They are quite the commitment if the mum does not accept and raise them. There is no guarantee that Ivy will accept them.

Eggs or pullets are really your only practical choices.

I've twice gotten chicks which I would introduce to the tribe through a fence. When they were fully fledged and old enough to sleep outdoors they would be in adjacent runs for a few weeks. They integrated eventually and I've been lucky as far as disease and parasites go but the adjustment period is always fraught with tension.

Having said that, I find my small flock is not a close knit group and I will often find them individually around the yard. This makes me wonder if introducing 1 day old chicks or eggs under a broody hen (risky I know) would make for a more cohesive flock.

Chicks are, as others have said, a lot more work for you for several weeks if they are not accepted by the hen.
I guess it boils down to if you think Ivy would accept day old chicks now? She would do all the work for you if she accepts them.

Could you delay introducing more tribe members until you have more time yourself?

I've twice gotten chicks which I would introduce to the tribe through a fence. When they were fully fledged and old enough to sleep outdoors they would be in adjacent runs for a few weeks. They integrated eventually and I've been lucky as far as disease and parasites go but the adjustment period is always fraught with tension.

Having said that, I find my small flock is not a close knit group and I will often find them individually around the yard. This makes me wonder if introducing 1 day old chicks or eggs under a broody hen (risky I know) would make for a more cohesive flock.

Chicks are, as others have said, a lot more work for you for several weeks if they are not accepted by the hen.
I guess it boils down to if you think Ivy would accept day old chicks now? She would do all the work for you if she accepts them.

Could you delay introducing more tribe members until you have more time yourself?
More time will come in Winter when there are no chicks available. Or older pullets come to think of it. I plan to take 4 weeks off.

Until then I'll be flat out.

Back
Top Bottom