MJ's little flock

Good morning!

Yes, broody hens will get up to eat and drink, usually when the sun starts to go down and/or before it rises. Chickens can only go 24 hours without eating. Sometimes I'll just put some food beside my hen, where she can eat while she's setting.
Well some don't. They need to be "encouraged". Most get the idea but some hens will just sit and starve.
Chickens can go for a lot longer then 24 hours without either food or water.
The hens I've has sit and it's been a lot, get up and all times of the day.

Well some don't. They need to be "encouraged". Most get the idea but some hens will just sit and starve.
Chickens can go for a lot longer then 24 hours without either food or water.
The hens I've has sit and it's been a lot, get up and all times of the day.
I've become comfortable with noting whether a hen was up each day. I don't start to worry until she skips two days in a row. If she skips three days, I'm ready to take action on the fourth.

Blow me down if the wild child hasn't learned an adorable and useful new trick!

Since returning to the roost with Mary and Janet, anxieties have skyrocketed.

To ease the ruckus, Peggy has learned to step on my hand and be carried up to the rafter! Cool as a cucumber!

Three nights in a row and it's getting easier each time.

I'm both delighted and flabbergasted!

View attachment 2977634
Love it. Mel would not tolerate being picked up any other way.

Completely off topic but has anyone else had cooking troubles having cooked with a gas hob in the past and then changing to an electrice hob. It seems one has to think ahead a bit about how long it takes the heat to reduce.

Asking for a friend who is tired of burnt food.:p
Yep. I've gone from electric to gas. I'm terrified of gas. You need to watch it like a hawk but if you turn it down the difference is immediate. Electric you have to allow for a few minutes for the temperature to drop. Same if you are increasing heat. It all takes a little longer but in all honesty I think electric is a more subtle heat.

Completely off topic but has anyone else had cooking troubles having cooked with a gas hob in the past and then changing to an electrice hob. It seems one has to think ahead a bit about how long it takes the heat to reduce.

Asking for a friend who is tired of burnt food.:p
In 20 years, Mrs BY Bob never figured it out. I finally gave in and converted the stove to gas.

Chicken Tax
20220125_165612.jpg

Back
Top Bottom