MJ's little flock

Enforcing freedom. An interesting thought.
Not quite the view I had in mind when I wrote I was in favour of compulsory voting.
If freedom is the aim then anarchy works quite well.
I'm in favour of compulsory voting because it's my view that one has a responsibility to participate in the decision making process under which one lives.
If only a certain section of the population vote then one can't lay claim to having a democratic system. What seems to happen when voting is optional is a section of society becomes disinfranchised be that through apathy, or policy.

It's a lovely day in Adelaide and there was no queue at all :eek: amazing. I had a friendly word with the official on the entrance, the one on the list, and the one at the exit, perfect!

No sausage sizzle though.
Darn. No sausage? There was even an article in the press here about getting sausage when voting in Oz.

Not quite the view I had in mind when I wrote I was in favour of compulsory voting.
If freedom is the aim then anarchy works quite well.
I'm in favour of compulsory voting because it's my view that one has a responsibility to participate in the decision making process under which one lives.
If only a certain section of the population vote then one can't lay claim to having a democratic system. What seems to happen when voting is optional is a section of society becomes disinfranchised be that through apathy, or policy.
Compulsory voting does not ensure good decisions. Should you not also have compulsory education?

Before enforcing voting should there not be a quiz to prove you are an informed voter and have educated yourself on the complex issues or at the very least have an idea how it works? For example what retention of judges means? Or what that job is?

Or are you ok that people who have no idea what they are doing vote for the famous person whom they have seen on TV?

How do you have enough poll workers to process all these new voters? Do you make that mandatory service and draft people like you do for a jury?

As someone who was in charge of voting here for over 20 years I have a slew of opinions on this and the basic capabilities of the voter. I almost did not respond to you on this because I feel this is a rabbit hole we can go down on a chicken forum but I'm a little cranky this morning so here it is.

Compulsory voting does not ensure good decisions. Should you not also have compulsory education?

Before enforcing voting should there not be a quiz to prove you are an informed voter and have educated yourself on the complex issues or at the very least have an idea how it works? For example what retention of judges means? Or what that job is?

Or are you ok that people who have no idea what they are doing vote for the famous person whom they have seen on TV?

How do you have enough poll workers to process all these new voters? Do you make that mandatory service and draft people like you do for a jury?

As someone who was in charge of voting here for over 20 years I have a slew of opinions on this and the basic capabilities of the voter. I almost did not respond to you on this because I feel this is a rabbit hole we can go down on a chicken forum but I'm a little cranky this morning so here it is.
Cranky's good. I'll get back to you.:D

I can respond to this too because if it wasn't compulosary I wouldn't vote. I think they're all a bunch of crooks & we definitly shouldn't be paying them to perform a public service. That being said, when a section of your people don't, aren't, can't vote it is non~representative government. That's been women & indigenious peoples usually but also the handicapped. Secondly this is one thing the education system is supposed to address. In my case my school actually did. Most people are aware of the issues & are smart voters here. How do I know? This election there was a massive swing away from the 2 major parties & we are looking @ representation from a 3rd party & lots of independents. People voted for the issues that mattered most to them & not along party lines. Thirdly the ballot slips are as simple as they can make them so it's not that hard for most people to vote as they see fit and lastly, if you really object, you donkey vote. Or you can abstain & pay the fine. It is a very fair system & no~one can complain along the lines of I didn't get a say because everyone does get a say, one way or another.

Need to add, the booth workers are paid. Quite well by all accounts. I've known a few people do it for the extra cash.

Last edited:
Or else.....
It's far more important that more voices are heard than that a few voices opt out and pay a small fine.

Also, democracy and freedom are not the same thing.

There's a lot of freedom in a state of nature. There's a lot of democracy in wide franchise.

The people on the electoral roll know their nation wants ro hear from them.

The pollies are obligated to direct their policies and electioneering at everyone.

Et;a: Bob would know what a state of nature is but in case anyone is wondering, here's a link.

Last edited:
Darn. No sausage? There was even an article in the press here about getting sausage when voting in Oz.
It's not laid on by the electoral commission, but by the people who work at the polling place when there isn't an election on. No one obliges them to put on a bbq, they self-organise it. Perhaps the person who usually organises the BBQ was sick this year? Perhaps they retired? Perhaps they moved?

Whatever happened at the polling place I attended, the democracy sausage tracker shows there were lots of snacking voters and funds raised by polling places. Polling places are schools, churches, community centres, anything walking distance within suburbs. I don't know what rural people do- postal votes maybe. My brother voted early on Tuesday in a community library because he had to work yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom