MJ's little flock

Also, democracy and freedom are not the same thing.
I think this nails it very nicely. Democracy, from its inception in Ancient Greece, entailed responsibility as well as privilege. Plus, @ the cost of being accused of being pedantic, technically speaking America is not a democracy. It is a republic. There are some very important differences because of this & some major cultural differences, which actually explains why the American republic does not insist everyone who is elegible to vote actually does so.

Do you happen to know how rural folks vote? Do they put in postal votes?
Covid made a bit of a mess as they were having trouble getting workers to man rural booths & some townships were facing long drives to vote. I would guess postal voting is always an option if you register in time.

I also agree it’s good that it’s compulsory, so that the wrong people don’t get in due to people’s apathy. I took a studied approach this year to who was running and what their policies were, and thanks to what MJ said about first preferences getting money from the Electoral Commission, I put my preferred minor party first and went down the list from there.
I've done this for the last few elections as the major parties are not representative of my views @ all. It has been depressing watching my choice pass preferences on to one of the major parties so I was thrilled to see the Independents win so many seats this time. Keep the B@*~#@s honest, I say.

Covid made a bit of a mess as they were having trouble getting workers to man rural booths & some townships were facing long drives to vote. I would guess postal voting is always an option if you register in time.
I always vote by post/mail but I miss going into the polling area because the people who staff it are so lovely and always congratulate you for voting. I also like getting the sticker that says 'I voted'. Voting by mail is more convenient but less of an occasion.

I always vote by post/mail but I miss going into the polling area because the people who staff it are so lovely and always congratulate you for voting. I also like getting the sticker that says 'I voted'. Voting by mail is more convenient but less of an occasion.
I always forget to register to postal vote. I prefer that to standing in long ques on election day.

I always forget to register to postal vote. I prefer that to standing in long ques on election day.
In NJ you only have to register once I think. And now they made it automatic that everyone is enrolled so anyone can vote by mail. I think I have that right. Anyway, I only registered once and always get my ballots sent without needing to re-register.

I've done this for the last few elections as the major parties are not representative of my views @ all. It has been depressing watching my choice pass preferences on to one of the major parties so I was thrilled to see the Independents win so many seats this time. Keep the B@*~#@s honest, I say.
Too right!

In NJ you only have to register once I think. And now they made it automatic that everyone is enrolled so anyone can vote by mail. I think I have that right. Anyway, I only registered once and always get my ballots sent without needing to re-register.
That's a good way to do it. Your elections are on Tuesdays, aren't they? With postal votes people can work and vote instead of missing out on one or the other.

Back
Top Bottom