Mold in run

SouthernChick54

In the Brooder
Jun 1, 2023
IMG_5637.jpeg
IMG_5638.jpeg
New chicken mama here. My 4 month old pullets are doing well. They stay in a coop overnight and spend days in their run and have access to the coop. I have 6, the coop is 8x5 and the covered run is 12x8. The coop has hemp bedding and poop boards with sand and sweet pdz. The run currently has a dirt floor which we are working on covering with sand.

All that to say, my issue today is mold in the run. It has been quite wet here lately (south western NC) and there has been a white mold growing in the dirt of the run. Today it is terrible.

Is this dangerous? Should I keep my flock in the coop until we can add the sand (hopefully today)?

I've had this happen. I used a flat edged shovel to scap it up and put it in a bucket to remove it from the run. Mold is bad and can make them sick. I would not cover it. I would remove it.

I put a pan under the feeder to catch the bits they drop and have not had the problem since.

You could use a shallow pan or a large potted plant saucer.

What NanaK said - remove all the mold. Throw it in the garbage or burn it. If you can keep the run more airy and dy it would help (obvious answer, but it never hurts to remind of the the small things).

Back
Top Bottom