Mold Question on Plants

Nov 25, 2010
Florida
We have gotten some chia pet herb plants. Those ones that you put water in the bottom of the tray, put a baggie over them and place them on the refrigerator. Well today I went to check the water, and there was mold on the top of the newly germinated plant. This is a rental house, and a while back we asked the landlord to check the roof for water leakage because there was a big hump in the ceiling in the kitchen, and one of the panels in the paneling in front room looks like there is water behind it. They came out checked the attic, and said it wasn't wet up there. Then they drilled a few holds in the kitchen ceiling to see if there was any water. They said no. Since we have moved here about 1 year ago, we have been sick constantly. Mostly coughing, sinus problems, and headaches. I hate to have to move again, but I feel there must be a lot of mold behind this paneling. Especially the walls in our bedroom (no paneling), but we sometimes cough like crazy in there. Especially when we are first going to sleep.
Recently I started smelling a sewer smell coming from "especially" the kitchen vent where I sit to work on the computer. They came out but said they didnt find anything. ? What would be causing these plants to have mold that fast on the germs?
Somebody please tell me more about mold, cause I am very confused about it. My husband has COPD, and he seems worse since we moved in this house. We are hoping to get something built on our land as soon as possible. But what (if anything) can be done in the meantime? Thanks

If you had a baggy over the plants, they can have mold or fungus growing there, simply because there was no air circulation. This can happen in a perfectly normal house, without any mold problems. This can also be a problem when growing sprouts to eat, if they aren't rinsed often enough, drained thoroughly enough or have enough air circulation. It happens in perfectly normal houses. It even happens to some plants growing out in the yard, under the wrong conditions.

Now, all that being said, it doesn't mean that the house you're living in doesn't have issues. I don't know what to tell you about all the things you are describing in that house, but they don't sound good.

I would, if you're having problems like that. Those clay bases are supposed to be able to absorb and hold a certain amount of moisture, right? Like clay pots do. Plus, if the growth ever looks too dry, you can also mist them with a fine mist, can't you? I would think the baggie was just to keep the moisture level higher in the beginning, to make the seeds sprout faster. People always like things to sprout faster.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom