Molting Chicks?

ChickStarter13

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 15, 2013
I'm new in the chicken business, I recently got some chicks to raise, and show in FFA when they are bigger. They are only a few weeks old... I have a couple questions concerning my chicks' health. They look healthy and eat and drink as they please.
1) Is it normal for chicks to molt when they are first feathering out?
2) My chick has really runny droppings, is this common, or is some thing wrong with it?

Thanks!

Your chicks will have been through three sets of flight feathers before they become young adults. Thereafter they will molt once a year with slow start about now with heavy part in fall.

Show a picture of poop.

And welcome greenhorn!

Thank you, I'll post a pic later. One more question... Should there be blood around the area where the feather came out? It isn't a lot of blood, just a little dried up... it kind of looks like a busted cuticle, but I wondered if that was normal.

Thank you, I'll post a pic later. One more question... Should there be blood around the area where the feather came out? It isn't a lot of blood, just a little dried up... it kind of looks like a busted cuticle, but I wondered if that was normal.
No, normal feather loss is bloodless. The blood coming from a "busted cuticle" could be indicative of feather picking. Be prepared to up protein in diet. Show picture.

Back
Top Bottom