Molting Muscovy male... is this normal?

Dvt1975

Songster
May 5, 2020
Hi my male Muscovy is 18 months old now and is molting. I’m finding a lot of feathers around the garden. He is grumpy too. He appears to have lost all the feathers on his neck and little downy ones are coming through/left.
I feed him duck pellets. Corn. Mealworm. He forages all day on the garden tok. He has fresh water access and a pond (he never goes in).

Is this a molt or is it mites? I’m new to all this and adore my Bob. Picture below. Thank you so much in advance for any help. X

Attachments

• 5F43DDB7-DB51-4234-A1BF-A422E432DDD2.jpeg
    5F43DDB7-DB51-4234-A1BF-A422E432DDD2.jpeg
    775.4 KB · Views: 51
  • D3D67E8B-C717-4662-BD31-56A91CE1A275.jpeg
    D3D67E8B-C717-4662-BD31-56A91CE1A275.jpeg
    704 KB · Views: 23
  • 067D4750-66C4-4D49-912B-09DEEB8B5408.jpeg
    067D4750-66C4-4D49-912B-09DEEB8B5408.jpeg
    748.7 KB · Views: 23
  • 3712B1EB-A0FE-4004-B905-1CE025C1FA92.jpeg
    3712B1EB-A0FE-4004-B905-1CE025C1FA92.jpeg
    677.2 KB · Views: 23
Hi my male Muscovy is 18 months old now and is molting. I’m finding a lot of feathers around the garden. He is grumpy too. He appears to have lost all the feathers on his neck and little downy ones are coming through/left.
I feed him duck pellets. Corn. Mealworm. He forages all day on the garden tok. He has fresh water access and a pond (he never goes in).

Is this a molt or is it mites? I’m new to all this and adore my Bob. Picture below. Thank you so much in advance for any help. X
Looks like molting to me, but I don't have Muscovy.
@Miss Lydia should be able to say for sure. 🙂

If you're seeing feathers everywhere, it's most likely molting. Does he have water available? I know muscovies don't bathe as much as other ducks, but generally enough to keep pests away.
Also, any other male muscovies in your flock? The rest of his feathers look really good.
Some of my muscovies are currently molting.

Last edited:
Mine are just beginning to molt also. Looks like yours is going to have his first big one. My Muscovy prefer a cement mixing tub for their baths. Or the small kiddy pool. They are too lazy to walk up the hill to the big pool. But maybe if you give him something small to bath in? That is how they keep pests off, bathing.

Thank you for your advice and replies. I have a large rectangular plastic base from an indoor animal cage and I make sure that is full of fresh water. He has a wash but he doesn’t get in much! Dirty boy! Ha ha
We love him ❤️❤️

Thank you for your advice and replies. I have a large rectangular plastic base from an indoor animal cage and I make sure that is full of fresh water. He has a wash but he doesn’t get in much! Dirty boy! Ha ha
We love him ❤️❤️
My muscovy will get in when its fresh, but other than that they turn their noses up. Drakes get in even less than the hens. 😁

He is SO grumpy. He went to bite me twice today. He was put to bed in a bad mood and woke up in a bad mood. Do the new feathers make them feel itchy and uncomfortable? X

He is SO grumpy. He went to bite me twice today. He was put to bed in a bad mood and woke up in a bad mood. Do the new feathers make them feel itchy and uncomfortable? X
Yeah. When they molt they are more grumpy and don't like to be bothered as much.
My drake is a brat and antagonizes me daily. I've tried all sorts of tricks with him. If I need to do something and he just won't leave me alone, I shut him out of the area I'm working in.

Back
Top Bottom