Molting?

Jun 17, 2018
I have a hen that is losing feathers like crazy... her entire breast is bald, the top half of her tail is just quil, her wings are losing feathers just like her tail, and her bum seems to be losing feathers also. No other chickens are like this, and when we picked her up and put her in the barn she kind of just sat down for a minute or so and seemed to be weak. Is this just molt or something more?

My 12wk olds are going through a JR Molt, finding feathers around their CH. Check your girl for mites, if none thinking she's "suffering" from a severe molt ... How old is she? Read that when they molt they don't feel good (micstrachan) and even hurt when handled. (oldhenlikesdogs) Has she lost any weight?

I feed scrambled eggs, mealworms, BOSS, tuna, treats high in protein when my girls go through molt. Some feed Feather Fixer (?) . I used to feed according to age, switching to Layer when they started laying, not anymore. I now feed Flock Raiser from a month old, adding a separate dish of Oyster Shells when they start laying.

I think it’s a molt. ALL my birds feel lousy and lose weight when they molt.

Ok, but I heard most of the flock molts at the same time? And she's been like this for a few months. I had thought it was molt until I just recently noticed how much it was and how long it is lasting. Hopefully its just molt :) How long does it usually last?

My 12wk olds are going through a JR Molt, finding feathers around their CH. Check your girl for mites, if none thinking she's "suffering" from a severe molt ... How old is she? Read that when they molt they don't feel good (micstrachan) and even hurt when handled. (oldhenlikesdogs) Has she lost any weight?

I feed scrambled eggs, mealworms, BOSS, tuna, treats high in protein when my girls go through molt. Some feed Feather Fixer (?) . I used to feed according to age, switching to Layer when they started laying, not anymore. I now feed Flock Raiser from a month old, adding a separate dish of Oyster Shells when they start laying.

We got her from a friend a few years ago so I really don't know how old she is. But she's getting up there. She does seem smaller then she used to be. But thats probably just because of the feather loss. :rolleyes:

Ok, but I heard most of the flock molts at the same time? And she's been like this for a few months. I had thought it was molt until I just recently noticed how much it was and how long it is lasting. Hopefully its just molt :) How long does it usually last?
Can you post some photos of her?
How old is she?
Is she still laying eggs?

Sometimes you may have a group of hens molting at the same time, but molt is really an individual thing. I have a few that start late summer, while others are naked in the middle of winter.

Since this has been going on for a few months, she is weak and you don't mention seeing new feather growth, she may not be molting.
A few things that cause feather loss is molting, picking from other birds, parasites and mating.
Check her very well for signs of lice/mites, observe your flock's behavior to see if she is being plucked, if you have a rooster he can cause damage to the feathers.
She is weak so watch to see if she is eating/drinking, offer her some poultry vitamins for a few days and check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning.

Getting a fecal float to rule out worms would also be a good idea.

Can you post some photos of her?
How old is she?
Is she still laying eggs?
:thumbsup

Pictures needed.. and what are you feeding including treats and supplements? How many other birds in how much space? What do her droppings look like?

Putting your location on your profile can help people know what type of weather and time of year conditions you might be dealing with.

:fl

Back
Top Bottom