molting.

bucky52

Songster
11 Years
Apr 26, 2011
i have a hen that is molting?she is two years old.she is eating and drinking.but she stands around with her feathers puffed up.and she has very little energy.she is the last one off the roost in the mornings.i have been watching her and she seems very weak.this is my second year raising chickens.i do not know alot about their systoms when they are in a molt.the other day i picked her up and she squealed as if it hurt her.i was a little concern that she was not in a molt and she may have mites.i can see she is growing new feathers.is this normal behavior when they are in a molt.

Yes, it's normal behavior. Molting takes a lot out of them. They are cranky when they molt and especially do not like being touched. They will sit off to themselves and avoid the rooster too. It can't be too comfortable being a pin cushion. They can also lose considerable weight, so keep up with making sure she is eating.

You can supplement with high protein treats to help her along through her molt. Mealworms are extremely high in protein. Tuna, meat scraps and Black Oil Sunflower seeds are other great choices too.

Yes, it's normal behavior. Molting takes a lot out of them. They are cranky when they molt and especially do not like being touched. They will sit off to themselves and avoid the rooster too. It can't be too comfortable being a pin cushion. They can also lose considerable weight, so keep up with making sure she is eating.

You can supplement with high protein treats to help her along through her molt. Mealworms are extremely high in protein. Tuna, meat scraps and Black Oil Sunflower seeds are other great choices too.
thank you.i was concern that it was something other than a molt.i give the whole flock mealworms every morning and i do give them black oil sunflower seeds also.they are not very fond of tuna fish.thank you so much for responding so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom