Mom Anne's FRUITCAKE For All You Fruitcake Haters!

ranchhand

Rest in Peace 1956-2011
11 Years
Aug 25, 2008
SC
Seriously, I hate the ooey, gooey, sticky fruitcakes. But this is drier and much better! Any gaps, let me know, I'll adjust!
smile.png

Mom Anne’s Fruitcake, for Fruitcake Haters

1 lb. of butter, at room temp
1 lb. of sugar (2-1/3 cups)
10 large eggs
1 lb. flour (4-3/4 – 5 cups)
1-1/2 cups apple juice
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp.vanilla extract
1 tsp. nutmeg
2 tsp. cinnamon
3 lbs. chopped pecans (blanched almonds & Eng. walnuts can be used or combined with pecans)
1 lb. crystallized (candied) pineapple
1-1/2 lb. crystallized (candied) red cherries

Preheat oven to 300F. Put a pan of water in the bottom of the oven. Grease and flour a 10” tube pan. Cut waxed paper to fit the bottom and grease it too. Have some loaf pans on standby, I can’t remember how much this makes, but it was more than just the tube pan!

Cream butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time while creaming. Add vanilla.
Chop fruits and nuts. In a separate bowl, mix well with hands to coat with 1-1/2 cups of flour.
In yet another bowl, mix remaining flour with nutmeg, cinnamon and baking powder.
Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture, a bit at a time, alternating with portions of the apple juice.
Mix in the fruits and nuts.

Bake for 2-1/2 – 3 hours, less for loaf pans. (I just look for a medium gold and a clean toothpick.)

Let cool. Wrap each cake in cheesecloth, with an underlayment of foil, leaving the foil open on top. Pour rum or applejack brandy all over each cake. Soak it well! The tube pan cake is a perfect fit for a round Christmas tin and the loaves can stay wrapped in foil. About once a week, douse with the booze again. Two to four weeks later, they’re ready to eat.

A slice of this cake, toasted and spread with butter? HEAVENLY! (yes, the booze does dissipate eventually)

I bet my MIL would LOVE this! I'm not a fruitcake lover, but I do remember my mother making bunches of fruitcakes for gifts. She used apricot brandy to pour over her fruitcakes.

Where were all you fruit cake eaters when I had fruit cake?

I sent some to people on here at xmas time last year. I had extra that I made cause someone asked for it and then never got it.

Tell me who likes it and I will again this year.

I through a bunch out...just a couple weeks ago. I make it but don't eat it.
wink.png

I will have to compare this one to the recipes I use. I make white fruit cake too with coconut.

ETA: It is discouraging to make and then see it wasted. It is kinda spendy and time consuming.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh,please send me fruitcake,cheese cake,pound cake
droolin.gif

I love home cooked food.
wink.png

Pm me your address and I will this winter for xmas. I usually make it in Oct. to be ready in Dec. I did send some to a couple people last xmas from byc and I guess him and his wife loved it, they fought over it. She told him he could not have any lol. I guess I should of sent them all I had left....since it got wasted anyways. The extra I was asked to make never got picked up.

The other person I never heard back from. I hope they liked it.

Last year was the first year in about 5-6 years I made any. A lot got wasted one year I made a bunch and took it to a bake sale and 1-2 sold out of like 30-40. I was really bummed out.

Back
Top Bottom