more duck information?

Pekins are just one of many breeds of domestic duck available. Unless you have a particular reason for wanting the Pekin breed, think about what you want in a duck and choose a breed that most closely resembles those characteristics. I need ducks for eggs because someone in my family is allergic to chicken eggs, so I chose a breed known for excellent laying. It’s nice to have so many breeds to choose from so that we can all get the right ducks for us. Some breeds are more common among those found at chain feed stores and others must be special ordered through either a store or directly from a hatchery. Some may be available from local farms or other duck keepers. Since you said you didn’t know a lot about ducks, I thought I would mention that there are options.

I prefer any other breeds than Pekin. Definitely a personal preference. Pekin are Meat Birds so can suffer from leg and laying issues. I'd pick a breed a bit lighter. :frow
do you have any suggestions? i would like a breed that isnt hard to handle since its my first duck, and a friendly breed.

Pekins can't be sexed by sight, except when they're 4 months old when the drakes develop drake feathers.

The easiest sexing method is by voice, but also requires the ducklings to be 4-7 weeks old.
okay, thank you!

Pekins are just one of many breeds of domestic duck available. Unless you have a particular reason for wanting the Pekin breed, think about what you want in a duck and choose a breed that most closely resembles those characteristics. I need ducks for eggs because someone in my family is allergic to chicken eggs, so I chose a breed known for excellent laying. It’s nice to have so many breeds to choose from so that we can all get the right ducks for us. Some breeds are more common among those found at chain feed stores and others must be special ordered through either a store or directly from a hatchery. Some may be available from local farms or other duck keepers. Since you said you didn’t know a lot about ducks, I thought I would mention that there are options.
yeah i have done research and ive learned that pekin are the most common pets and are friendly, thats really all i want, a friendly breed that can be good pets. if you have any other suggestions of friendly duck breeds please let me know!

Back
Top Bottom