More Eggs Than Ducks

Wild Duck

Chirping
Sep 5, 2018
Hello byc and company! No issue today, just came home to a big surprise. So my hens consist of a buff orpington and 2 golden 300s of unknown age, and a mallard hatched may 14th. I picked up the first 3 hens cause of the 3 ducks hatched w the mallard, 2 were drakes and started getting physical. Since then I was getting 1-2 eggs a day.
Yesterday I got 3 eggs for the first time, then today I got 5! I do not think the mallard laid an egg (wouldn’t they be smaller??) and I didn’t know it was really a thing for a hen to lay 2 eggs a day, especially in the winter! I assume they’re totally ok to eat and such but I’m curious to know if this means anything? Hopefully they’re not stressed or something. Thanks ahead for the knowledge!

Attachments

• C68E650D-7ECB-4613-9A24-B72A5F876448.jpeg
    C68E650D-7ECB-4613-9A24-B72A5F876448.jpeg
    487 KB · Views: 8
I do not think anyone was hiding eggs unless they rolled them in from outside. I only have one nesting box that all the eggs were in and I thoroughly check every time

As long as the egg-shells are hard, i don't think that's a problem. One of my Indian Runners lays two eggs a day sometimes. One in the morning and one in the early evening. Surprisingly it is the smaller duck that lays a second egg. The larger one lays double-yolkers from time to time. And the third girl doesn't lay at all.
Nothing to worry about, enjoy the eggs!

Back
Top Bottom