Mosquitoes!!!

Eric R

Songster
6 Years
Jul 12, 2017
Magnolia, TX
Whats the best course of action for repelling mosquitoes from the coop? My broodies are stuck in there and are blood buffets for them. I need repelling tips not controlling tips. I live in Houston so I'm not about to control the mosquitoe population around here. Thanks!

Not sure they would do well this time of year. I was thinking of spraying citronella on some small towels and hanging in/around the coop but wasn't sure if this would repel the chickens too.

Well I put up some pieces of paper towels and sprayed some all natural citronella on them yesterday. So far no mosquitos and the hens are laying just fine today. I don't have any more broodies in there so they are only in there to sleep and to lay an egg. It's really not that strong of a smell so I think it's just enough for the mosquitos to be repelled but fine for the chickens. I read citronella is not bad for them but that was referring to the herb. However, the spray I used it derived from the herb so I assume it can't be much different.

You can hang herb bags in there too. You can buy herbs, but you can also find the herbs that mosquitos don't like and hang them whole in the bags. The chickens won't be hurt by the smell, but they may not like it. Putting whole herbs in the coop won't be as smelly, and won't bother the hens as much. Fan is a good idea too, just don't want to get them cold depending on your temp right now.

Well I put up some pieces of paper towels and sprayed some all natural citronella on them yesterday. So far no mosquitos and the hens are laying just fine today. I don't have any more broodies in there so they are only in there to sleep and to lay an egg. It's really not that strong of a smell so I think it's just enough for the mosquitos to be repelled but fine for the chickens. I read citronella is not bad for them but that was referring to the herb. However, the spray I used it derived from the herb so I assume it can't be much different.
Ya, I think that is totally fine. That is what I would do. They may not like the smell, but it wont hurt them or drive them off the nest or anything. Nice getting the bugs away!

You can hang herb bags in there too. You can buy herbs, but you can also find the herbs that mosquitos don't like and hang them whole in the bags. The chickens won't be hurt by the smell, but they may not like it. Putting whole herbs in the coop won't be as smelly, and won't bother the hens as much. Fan is a good idea too, just don't want to get them cold depending on your temp right now.

That's a brilliant idea. It reminds me of those air freshener bags for cars. Also, what about citronella candles? pestcontrolhacks.com says some of them can be used both indoors and outdoors. They contain citronella oil and no chemical pesticides, what do you think about those?

That's a brilliant idea. It reminds me of those air freshener bags for cars. Also, what about citronella candles? pestcontrolhacks.com says some of them can be used both indoors and outdoors. They contain citronella oil and no chemical pesticides, what do you think about those?
I think as long as the chickens don't have access the candles, and can't nock the over or burn them selves, its not a bad idea. Just have to keep them away from the walls. Put them in a very safe spot.

Back
Top Bottom