Most of the mail order chicks arrived dead.

k9grammy

Chirping
Feb 8, 2019
Bellingham, WA
I recieved 28 day old chicks in the mail on Thursday morning. 22 were dead! Of the six that have survived, 5 are doing great. One is still a bit wobbly, but I think will make it. My question is...my local feed store has an over abundance of baby chicks, Some have just arrived and some are several weeks old. I'd like to add to my flock, can I mix them in with my little band? Should I just get the youngest or....
I don't have the coop ready yet to move anyone out, figured I had a couple of weeks to get it done.

do you mind if i ask which kind died? were they bantams? I feel like bantams struggle more with shipping. I just picked up my order this morning. 2 DOA (silkie and polish) 2 1 maran died after about 30 min and 2 other polish are most likely on their way out. Just curious to whaat you had

I had a mixed batch, so trying to figure out what survived. I know one Partridge Penedenca made it and I think one Maran. Not sure about the others. I did go down to the feed store and got some more chicks. Got 4 Wellsomer, 4 Delaware and 6 Golden sex link. Only the Delaware are bigger by a week. So far they seem pretty happy. The one Partridge chick was concerning because it didn't come out to eat much, but with the new guys there, she's been running out to be in the middle of whatever is going on. My one little Maron was bit of a bully at first even though she is smaller, but I think everyone is setting in.
I do have one more question. Can I feed these babies lettuce? I have some extra and normally I throw it out for the birds, but thought maybe it would be good for the little one.

They came from Meyer and they have said they will give me a refund. I just need to send them photos of the survivors.
One interesting thing. One little girl (the rare breed one) was not too energetic and I wasn't sure she was going to pull through. BUT when I added in the new chicks from the feed store, she became a wild thing. She runs out and bashes into chicks on the feeder, bowls over any that get in her way. I think her ALpha is coming out. Another of the survivors is the smallest of the lot and the biggest bully. This was the first one to drink and eat when they were first in the brooder. She has become my favorite. i think she is a Maran.
What a great way to spend a morning, sitting and drinking coffee with my girls.

Back
Top Bottom